Seeking Architect For Plan Finalization - Kalamazoo Mi

Jedjewel

I think the lady was talking about her home, and I'm sure anyone can design that. Weather its good or not is to be determined. That was a correct statement

Spelling police on duty.  The correct spelling should be Whether unless you are talking about sunshine vs rain!

I think the lady was talking about her home, and I'm sure anyone can design that. Weather its good or not is to be determined. That was a correct statement

I know, but if you back-up to that type of logic, anyone can do anything (as consequences are what they are, Ceteris paribus) - someone can operate on themselves but whether they live or die is to be determined.

Johnny:

I doubt if post #6 would have been made without post #4 and #5

I know that architects can "usually" provide a better design than I can

or "most" self-taught designers

Again, I have referred a number of clients to seek out an architect

but my only complaint is that the architects stop chiding us "selfers"

for doing a dis-service to our clients

I still believe if the client is happy then that is the bottom line

everything else is just one opinion versus another

get 10 or 100 architects in a room and I seriously doubt there will be "consensus"

on whether certain plans are "ugly"

can you really drive down the highway and know for certain that some of those

"ugly" designs that you despise weren't done by an architect ???

Lew

Lew I agree some points here but the serviceability and functional requirement of a building is one big reason for the need of an architect in a facility design, which I think is more important than aesthetics.

Johnny:

I doubt if post #6 would have been made without post #4 and #5

I know that architects can "usually" provide a better design than I can

or "most" self-taught designers

Again, I have referred a number of clients to seek out an architect

but my only complaint is that the architects stop chiding us "selfers"

for doing a dis-service to our clients

I still believe if the client is happy then that is the bottom line

everything else is just one opinion versus another

get 10 or 100 architects in a room and I seriously doubt there will be "consensus"

on whether certain plans are "ugly"

can you really drive down the highway and know for certain that some of those

"ugly" designs that you despise weren't done by an architect ???

Lew

I think this thread is an argument about perception of what some might think is being said vs what is actually strictly being said.  My main points are against someone trying to buy a piece of software and design their home without a professional's help.  That professional help can come in the form of an architect or designer - both with the caveat they should be "good".

There is more you say I agree with than not...primarily being what constitutes "the bottom line".   An agree to disagree there is fine with me.

need of an architect in a facility design

Yusef:

agree 100%

non-architects are NOT allowed to do plans for non-residential beyond certain limits

such as 3-4 floors and/or sqft etc

this thread is about residential designs

Lew

someone trying to buy a piece of software and design their home without a professional's help

Johnny:

but that is what they OP was trying to do 

she knew she wanted an architect  :)

notice I didn't say "needed"

she might need one - all depends :)

Lew

I know, but if you back-up to that type of logic, anyone can do anything (as consequences are what they are, Ceteris paribus) - someone can operate on themselves but whether they live or die is to be determined.

Really Johnny, two different things. Design and final working drawings are different, most people have no idea how to do the structural or get it thru plan check, although in some parts of the country, you don't need much to get it through plan check. I always appreciate when people give me their idea's, I can take it from there and make it right without compromising their plan to much.

In most states you just need to follow the IRC codes

and an architect is not needed

I took several code classes where the instructor wrote the codes for the ICC

his analogy was when you are sick you can go to the pharmacy and get OTC drugs

which are covered by the IRC

If you need more than OTC then you need a prescription (an architect)

and need to use the IBC

Lew

Really Johnny, two different things. Design and final working drawings are different, most people have no idea how to do the structural or get it thru plan check, although in some parts of the country, you don't need much to get it through plan check. I always appreciate when people give me their idea's, I can take it from there and make it right without comprising their plan to much.

I love client ideas....i dont want to make you think I enforce my designs like the "soup-nazi".  In fact, I often ask clients to try and browse magazines and cut out sections they find appealing to create a collage of design ideas (perhaps even including floor plan sections). 

Frankly, if someone came to me with a floor plan and said ONLY produce working drawings from that drawing - I would refer them to a draftsman.

I am engineer but I do some arch designs of various scopes.

Here is one of my architects data I would like to share here https://www.google.com.et/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=AEq4VON84ebJA_zugKgO&url=https://archive.org/details/Architectural_Standard_Ernst_Peter_Neufert_Architects_Data&ved=0CBsQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNEF3DlPZKjgvgn5l0l64ZualDOtSw and for bigger ones I don't proceed the eng calcs with out architect consultation.

Richard:

really ???

I didn't even join in until post #23 ...

and I said exactly what you just said

so I could say something nasty but I will refrain

Lew

No, he never said that.  He made the point following post #3 in the signature block "Award Winning Architectural Designer with 30 years of design experience".  The term architectural can only be used by licensed entities...not a designer.

Johnny:

I said that In post #23

Lew

OK...i agree, i wasn't implying anything except he didn't say "it is illegal for non-architects to do design".  That was the entire scope of my comment.  Sorry if you thought I was suggesting more, but I am not.

Johnny:

so how does your Father fit into this discussion ???

https://chieftalk.ch...ng-about-chief/

kinda curious on how you would view his designs ???

Lew

I have a lot of respect for my father's design abilities.  However, he mainly worked with an architect for years before he even started drawing "certain" plans by hand.  Of all the homes my father built - around 2k - only a small handful of those have been designed by himself.  Some of his early success was the fact he worked with a VERY good architect - Stuart Silk - http://www.stuartsilk.com/

My father using designs by Stuart made his work stand out from other builders.  Even he acknowledges that working with a good architect was vital for his early career.

...  At one time I would expect to spend about 50% of the time on design and 50% on the Construction Documents.  Now it's about 85% on design and 15% on ConDocs.  IMO anyone using Chief Architect that isn't close to a 4:1 ratio is either a design genius or not a designer at all.

I thought I took an inordinate amount of time designing versus finishing the construction documents after the final sign off from the customer.  I thought it just didn't come to me quickly but maybe I am ...........average after all...