X-14 Beta. Live Preview and review of new features

Renerabbitt

19 minutes ago, bdillard1 said:

I noticed that I don't believe were defaults in X13

I think in X13 that toolbar is on the RH side , not at the Top , at least for me it is, but I have long since customized my Toolbars to my liking.

If you save the plan in X14 you won't be able to open it in X13 , so make two copies for yourself eg   Filename_X13 and Filename_X14 as backup.

M. 

X14 didn't need to convert the plan so it is still capable of being opened in x13

The X13 plan is converted into an X14 plan when it is read in.  If you save the plan in X14, you will not be able to read it back into X13.  The program will automatically create a backup of your X13 plan and put it in your archives folder.  You should see a confirmation message when you do this letting you know what is happening.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/13/2022 at 5:26 PM, Richard_Morrison said:

It is. This is really the first version that I think would make me view Archicad as unnecessary. Linked callout labels in Layout is huge, as is resizable fractional dimensions. If I didn't already have Archicad, I don't think I'd miss that much.

I have been using ArchiCAD for about 20 years.  I seem to recall looking at Chief Architect around the same time back then.  I am just recently reevaluating Chief Architect again, and I am quite impressed with the latest features.

I am not quite sure if I am ready to switch from ArchiCAD just yet.  The one tool, (or application), that is an essential component of our daily activities is the BIMx viewer.  (BIMx is touted as a ‘BIM Hyper-model’ with a game-like navigation tool that enables exploring of the building model and project deliverables.) I have not discovered a comparable tool in Chief Architect yet.

Also, the separate Plan and Layout file organization structure is reminiscent of the old "PlotMaker" in ArchiCAD, which was abandoned in release 10 about 16 years ago.  I am curious to learn why Chief Architect maintains the structure to "send" views to a separate layout file.

Another exciting feature is Chief Architect 14 being written for the MAC M1 silicon chip! 

Regards,

Joe A.

12 minutes ago, JFA_RA said:

I have not discovered a comparable tool in Chief Architect yet.

Chief’s “export to 3D Viewer” is the closest we have to BimX. If you save enough plan views in there along with some notes then it approaches albeit in a limited way the BimX feature in AC. 

As for the separate layout file approach of Chief, it’s cumbersome but you are still able to reference plans and reference sets from multiple plans in the same layout. I realize AC does the same but doesn’t require you to keep a separate layout file but you won’t find anyone on this forum to even understand that concept let alone make a request for with Chief.  

I have a house that is being extended that I designed way back with V9.5 & V10, when they were current. I have been searching for the layout files on several occasions and I can’t find them. So I think keeping the files together like Archicad does would be a good idea maybe ? But hey I don’t expect CA to be backwards compatible to that far back or to windows XP lol. I was however able to access my old XP hard drive with a cable kit. I must have misplaced the file somewhere ? Yes I did backup all my old files with usb sticks as well but just to be sure I checked my old XP hard drive. I can find my plan files but I can’t find my layout files to print my old plans from. Food for thought.

On 5/12/2022 at 11:47 AM, JFA_RA said:

I have been using ArchiCAD for about 20 years.  I seem to recall looking at Chief Architect around the same time back then.  I am just recently reevaluating Chief Architect again, and I am quite impressed with the latest features.

I am not quite sure if I am ready to switch from ArchiCAD just yet.  The one tool, (or application), that is an essential component of our daily activities is the BIMx viewer.  (BIMx is touted as a ‘BIM Hyper-model’ with a game-like navigation tool that enables exploring of the building model and project deliverables.) I have not discovered a comparable tool in Chief Architect yet.

Also, the separate Plan and Layout file organization structure is reminiscent of the old "PlotMaker" in ArchiCAD, which was abandoned in release 10 about 16 years ago.  I am curious to learn why Chief Architect maintains the structure to "send" views to a separate layout file.

Another exciting feature is Chief Architect 14 being written for the MAC M1 silicon chip! 

Regards,

Joe A.

Separate layout file is a very valuable tool for warehouse plans and the save-as-method.not assuming this of you but many users forget that chief is used for a large amount of different services from cabinet vendors to interior decorators to commercial architects and on down the line. Separate layout for instance can be pre-saved to create mood boards automatically from the same file that we use to create con docs and presentations.

• Upvote 1

On 5/19/2022 at 1:28 PM, Kbird1 said:

Are you sure you are looking for the Correct file type ?  this may help.......... as you'd need to convert then 1st for X14

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00279/opening-legacy-files.html

Thank you very much for that link and resource Kbird. I was aware that I would likely have to go back to older versions of CA. I tried installing X3 & X2 on my Windows 10 PC and both programs worked fine after installing the software for the usb dongle as well. They open the plan files ok but I found that plan was done in V9.5 and I found a file called .lb1 that will not open with X2. I think It would be fine if I had an old working XP PC or laptop to install V9.5 on it. I will see how I go with an old laptop we have somewhere. Thanks again for your help.

3 minutes ago, mthd97 said:

Thank you very much for that link and resource Kbird. I was aware that I would likely have to go back to older versions of CA, I tried installing X3 & X2 on my Windows 10 PC and both programs worked fine after installing the software for the usb dongle as well. They open the plan files ok but I found that plan was done in V9.5 and that layouts as well. I found a file called .lb1 that will not open with X2. I think It would be fine if I had an old working XP PC or laptop. I will see how I go with an old laptop we have somewhere. Thanks again for your help.

Sounds like you missed the link in that article to the X8 Viewer (in green) it is able to open old files and save them to the new file types so X9 and above can open them.

Mick.

• Upvote 1

That’s a good thing to know that “trick of the trade” for opening older files. I will give the X8 viewer method a test and see how I go. Cheers.

I managed to get a link to an X8 client viewer download in this forum. Thank you to the person for posting that link.

I was not able to view the CA file from V9.5 with this client viewer. I can however open the plan file with X2 but not the layout file yet.

If I have to create a new layout file in X2 and send views to that layout I will do so. I know it takes quite a bit of time to do that again and I wish I could just open the old layout file from CAV9.5 with X2 as well and save a heap of time.

Its a problem we just get with the continual updating of operating systems.

P.S. Does anyone have a link to a download for an old CAV9.5 HASP usb hardware lock that will work on windows 10 ?

Thanks again for all the help here, it’s a very good helpful forum this one.

I found this thread that might help me ?

“unable to install hasp 2.17 dongle for chief 10”

Edited by mthd97
Update

We have found that the Text boxes on Layouts in the new X14 have a different line spacing than the old version and when an X13 layout is opened or upgraded to X14 all the text boxes change and have line spacings between each text row.. Is there a way to fix this?