DWG import issue

Alchemyjim

Hi all,

Just curious if this has happened to anyone else. 

Since I downloaded the latest update I have been unable to import DWG's. When I try the whole thing freezes and I have to force a shut down. 

The DWG import dialog doesn't even pop up. Just a hard lock up.

Never experienced any other glitch with the update. 

Not really even sure where to start on troubleshooting an issue like that.  You may need to contact tech support in the morning.

I don't see how it could be a hardware issue unless your mouse is fried but that would cause other issues as well I am sure.

Did you confirm  v.23.3.0.81  It shows in the Startup Options..  Bottom Right.

My best guess is that it's probably something specific in the DWG file you are trying to import.  You could see if you get the same results with a different DWG file.  You could post the DWG file and see if someone else can duplicate the problem.  Or, you could contact technical support during their normal business hours.

3 minutes ago, Dermot said:

My best guess is that it's probably something specific in the DWG file you are trying to import.  You could see if you get the same results with a different DWG file.  You could post the DWG file and see if someone else can duplicate the problem.  Or, you could contact technical support during their normal business hours.

I would have suggested that as the most obvious variable but he is not even getting the DBX to open ?

17 minutes ago, Alchemyjim said:

I do file-> import -> DWG.

Ok so just to confirm when you do that the import DBX does not even open and the program freezes with no error message ?

If so I would suspect your installation has become corrupted or you have a hardware issue of some sort and you should contact tech support.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alchemyjim said:

I do file-> import -> DWG. And the DWG file is saved in the same folder as the plan.

This sounds a bit suspect to me.

When you do File > Import > Import Drawing (DWG, DXF)..., the file should not be saved to the same folder as the plan - it shouldn't be saved anywhere - it should open the Import Drawing Assistant dbx. 

One possibility is that the Import Drawing dialog is appearing on a secondary screen, possibly one that is no longer connected to your machine.  This would give the appearance of Chief locking up or being frozen, when in reality, the dialog box just isn't visible.  If that is the case, Edit > Preferences > Reset Options > Reset Dialog Sizes may solve the problem.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, ClintonM said:

One possibility is that the Import Drawing dialog is appearing on a secondary screen, possibly one that is no longer connected to your machine.  This would give the appearance of Chief locking up or being frozen, when in reality, the dialog box just isn't visible.  If that is the case, Edit > Preferences > Reset Options > Reset Dialog Sizes may solve the problem.

ClintonM you nailed it. Problem solved. It wasn't on another screen just somewhere else. I reset it and there it is!

Thank you!

• Like 1