Rafter issues

RJBPILOT

I have a building that has the rafters being notched by apparently a floor platform.  However there are inconsistencies because it is only doing it on one side of the building. I have manually drawn the rafters because the auto build wasn't doing what I wanted and I had the same issue with the notching of the rafters.  It was happening over the knee walls in the attic space as well.  I thought manually drawing them would fix the issue.  It only did on one side......I would post the plan but they now limit it o 14mb.... The plan is a very small shed... I don't know why they are limiting now.. this stinks....  

Thanks

rafter issues.jpg

rafter issue section.jpg

no its not that,  I have rebuilt everything.  I resorted to just build a new building with a full upstairs and deck with no knee walls. It was strange because it was only on the one side.  The small attic wall that builds where the rafters sets builds framing also.  I tried all the balloon wall settings but can't get rid of them..  I'm simply deleting them in wall framing view... The rafters auto built fine after I started fresh. Just putting all the other stuff in now,,, open below, adding dormer, and stairwell.  

Issue resolved.

The rafters in my plan were to set on the second floor deck , on a 2x6 plate.  The outside walls were generating a small attic wall and framing it which caused the notch in my rafters. Even with the framing deleted it kept the notch in the rafters.  
I changed the second floor walls to “no room definition” and it resolved the issue.  But the room now doesn’t show a floor surface in 3D so I had to make a polyline solid sheet of plywood.  

Well, changing to "no room definition" takes care of the rafter notching by upper wall, but causes other issues with rooms....   

I tried the framing off.  Does not work.  If that above is supposed to be showing that those are attic spaces.  I had them as such, but that is not relevant to the issue of the notching from the stupid little attic wall..... this is a pain.

I posted the second model I was using as test. It has one side with the deleted framing and the other with the framed small attic wall in the way of the rafters......  

Untitled 1.jpg

Untitled 2.jpg

Moller NP Shed.plan

When I first built this test model, I just built the entire second story , build roof to ignore second floor.  added 1 1/2" to the deck height for the 2 x 6 plate.  Auto build the rafters and all was good.  But some condition made the stupid attic wall to cause the notching in the rafters.....  this is killing me....  cripes.

Ok but did it take care of it for the open below area?  Because those walls need to be framed up to the 119 3/8'' floor height of the second floor plus the 1 1/2" plate.  The rafters still notch and don't rest on the plate like they are supposed to.....  

@RJBPILOT - lots of things going on with this plan. 

The first thing I'd do if I were you is "reset to defaults"...I'd reset walls top/bottom.  You have a number of walls where you moved the top of bottom...not something I'd recommend you do.

Next, open the plan defaults and specify the default floor/ceiling platform...then open each room on the second floor and check them to use the default "floor structure".

I would build the dormer manually...so much easier and much more control.  

To build the general roof...I'd specify to ignore the 2nd floor, set roof pitches in the wall defaults, set gable and hip walls in the wall dbx, and "raise" the roof the depth of your default floor system (10.25") plus 1.5" for a plate to sit your rafters on...a total of 11.75".

I would uncheck "trusses"...and I'd probably uncheck automatic birds mouth. Set birdsmouth seat to 3.5". The default birdsmouth seat will be based on the width of the main layer of your siding-6 wall on the first floor....but, you don't really need a 5.5" wall on the 2nd floor. 

Once the roof is built...you will have to lower the screened porch roof to sit it on the top of the beam...so, turn off automatic roofs and lower the porch roof 11.75". Just use transform/replicate to move the roof down.

To build the dormer, move the roof where the dormer is to be constructed up one floor, click on the roof plane and use the "create hole" tool (bottom toolbar) to cut a hole in the roof for the dormer walls to pop through. You'll have to create the dormer cheek walls..."roof cuts wall at bottom". Then draw the 3/12 roof on the dormer. 

Regarding the Screened porch. You need to open the deck room and fix a few things;  Floor finish should be checked to use "default". (note: the deck planking is the finish...and it is specified in the framing). Also, at "planks, joists" you should check use default. Also, for the porch railing wall I would not use a "top plate"...just the bottom plate. It looks like you are using my Screened Porch Library...nice! The height of the railing walls should be the room height less the height of the beam (9"). So...88.125". 

Open the Screened Porch room...and go to the deck tab. Check the box to automatically regenerate deck framing. Set plank direction and joist direction to automatic. 

I've attached my "fixed" plan for you to review. :)

Moller's Shed - fixed.plan.zip

Steve, 

Thanks for all your work on this and the tips, but the issue remains with the rafter notching by an "attic" wall on the second floor.........this is a 3 d framing shot of your "fixed plan".  The other side did set the rafters to the plate, but the wall in the open below needs to be framed up to that.  In my previous plan I was trying to break the wall at the second floor where the floor platform was and just balloon frame the open below areas ,   But when I selected and changed the broken wall to balloon framing, it automatically changed the entire wall and removed the break.... So I just edited it in wall framing view.  The nuisance attic wall is a pain and keeps notching the rafters.  The only way I could fix it was to make the attic areas and the open below(second floor) ceiling heights to 1 1/2" to have the rafters not be notched.  

MOLLER SHED %22FIXED%22 .jpg