Cross Section Cameras to Create Details


Joe_Carrick
 Share

Recommended Posts

I've been experimenting with Cameras to create Details that can be sent to Layout.  One of the benefits is that the below the line text can be set as %page_label% so that it coordinates with wherever the detail is located in the Layout.  There are a few tricks:

  • The Section View needs to be clipped both horizontally and vertically to contain just the desired detail
  • The Drawing Sheet of the Section View needs to be set to the appropriate size for the Layout.  Generally I find that about 6x6 or 6x8 is appropriate for details.
  • The Drawing Sheet should be set to the desired Scale.
  • The Drawing Sheet should be centered on the Cross Section
  • Additional CAD objects, Dimensions and Text should be added to the Cross Section.

I'm still experimenting to see if I can coordinate the Detail Number with the Camera and the position on the Layout Page.

 

Essentially, this method has the advantage of greatly reducing the amount of 2D CAD required to create a fully annotated Detail.  The Details more accurately reflect the model (including foundation and framing).

If the Drawing Sheet is properly sized, the details sent to layout will fit nicely in the available drawing area.

 

If anyone has additional thoughts and/or suggestions, please post them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i'm curious, are you automating the text descriptions somehow with leader lines? or for each cross section are you drawing, say 10 or so leader lines with text?

 

how are 0.1" things showing up, and stuff like drip edge and ice & water shield? I've been fiddling with my CAD details so that some of the things are macro'd but one can only get so far.. I would think labelling like below for a section each time might take awhile

 

image.thumb.png.ce1ed1e7a48fa22df54cf4ae347b2233.png

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some things can be labeled by using macros ( framing cut in cross section for example ) 

Most other things you will need to manually label.

 

I  have some text labels with arrows in my library (simple "NOTE") that I just place and edit the text.  Generally, my details are smaller and don't need as much annotation.  Using Notes and a Note Schedule is another way to make it simpler when you have multiple notes on a Layout Sheet.  Wall Schedules is another way to minimize the amount of annotation.

 

BTW, with this system I am not using CAD Details - just Cross Sections clipped in both directions.  It's possible to create CAD Details from these Cross Section Views to store in the Library - but then the Camera Callout automatic labeling is lost.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

It's possible to create CAD Details from these Cross Section Views

Tip for newbies: If hatch patterns already exist in the camera view, then this also turns them into a dog's breakfast of different lines, which makes working with that cad detail a bit of a nuisance.

The method Joe describes is generally how I draw details for complex projects that need to stay live.

A couple of other tips:

  • back clip about 24" as a rule of thumb
  • create a white line border template to aid with cropping so all details remain the same size.
  • include a white line offset from the view to aid with text leader line snapping
  • turn off connections for both ends of text leader lines. 
  • Ensure the detail camera label is titled exactly how you'd like it to appear in layout, and use this automatic label for the layout box.. This will greatly improve drawing coordination.
  • Once layout boxes are positioned in layout, then all details can have their drawing number set in the project browser without opening each view.
  • Avoid redundant specifications (i.e.) there's no need to callout the spec of a steel beam in a detail if it is called out in the plan. Rather callout the connections, or install dimensions, etc.
  • You may be surprised how little cad work is necessary in a detail like this.
  • image.thumb.png.a54fd750324997068aa70b72ae3c3414.png

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, jasonN said:

how are 0.1" things showing up, and stuff like drip edge and ice & water shield? 

Generally, if the model's layers are very close to real, then it's quite easy to move them apart a bit to allow space for thin items. When and if they need to stay in place, then membranes items can be shown in place with a heavier dashed line and flashings can be shown in place with a heavier weight. This is really only effective for detail scale, not so much for general sections at 1/4" scale or less.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't forget to set the Default Set (Including Layer Set) for the Cross Section View.  This will allow for text, dimensions, line weights, etc to be automatically controlled.

 

In most cases I'm using a 1"=1'-0" scale, but other scales might be used for those conditions where more or less fineness is required.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, robdyck said:

Generally, if the model's layers are very close to real, then it's quite easy to move them apart a bit to allow space for thin items.

are you moving them apart in the model, or the cross section. if the wall moves in the plan, will it then not revert back when it auto rebuilds?

 

I'm going to take a guess as to what was manual..

inside LVL (looks like it is cut into 2x6 wall, but probably blocked between them so maybe this is not manually done)

SDS Screws

drip edge

sealant

WRB

VB

hangers

not sure what those 2x4s are

1x4 strapping looks same thickness as ceiling but ceiling is open to wall with cladding...interesting... enclosed porch of some kind maybe

 

am i close?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, jasonN said:

are you moving them apart in the model, or the cross section

Just moving cad boxes / polylines / blocks apart in the camera (like the lapped siding cad block for example).  No touching the model!

Lap siding, SDS Screws, sealant, WRB, VB, and my 2x6 / 2x4 lumber cross boxes. The rest is Chief Auto detail, then touched up all the fill patterns. A colored section view saves a lot of fill and provides great context...if you have affordable color printing available.

Those 2x4's are nailers, one to support the drywall (because the wall is framed to u/s of floor sheathing, and the other nailer, flat-wise is for crown molding.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ahhh,,,i thought the one might be nailer but did not clue in that that was crown below.

 

How is the 2x4 for the crown affixed...or is that up to the framer to figure out? I'd almost think it should be tight so they could nail it to the nailer ...  or run blocking

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, rgardner said:

Check out the simpson catalog for their 3d items such as hangers.

automatic in the section by specifying it somewhere in CA..that would be nifty....?

 

....or placed the simpson hanger there manually.

 

I assumed the latter

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, jasonN said:

placed the simpson hanger there manually

Yep manually.

 

The suggestion has been made to place them automatically through a DBX.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...
On 1/19/2022 at 2:51 PM, robdyck said:

Tip for newbies: If hatch patterns already exist in the camera view, then this also turns them into a dog's breakfast of different lines, which makes working with that cad detail a bit of a nuisance.

The method Joe describes is generally how I draw details for complex projects that need to stay live.

A couple of other tips:

  • back clip about 24" as a rule of thumb
  • create a white line border template to aid with cropping so all details remain the same size.
  • include a white line offset from the view to aid with text leader line snapping
  • turn off connections for both ends of text leader lines. 
  • Ensure the detail camera label is titled exactly how you'd like it to appear in layout, and use this automatic label for the layout box.. This will greatly improve drawing coordination.
  • Once layout boxes are positioned in layout, then all details can have their drawing number set in the project browser without opening each view.
  • Avoid redundant specifications (i.e.) there's no need to callout the spec of a steel beam in a detail if it is called out in the plan. Rather callout the connections, or install dimensions, etc.
  • You may be surprised how little cad work is necessary in a detail like this.
  • image.thumb.png.a54fd750324997068aa70b72ae3c3414.png

 

 

Rob, this detail is awesome and I have made this my next project to figure out and implement. I am having trouble getting the fills to show up. I have went through all of the settings that I can think of to make sure I have fills set correctly and I still can't get them to show. I turned Layers to All On and that didn't do it either.

 

1) Any ideas on what I am missing on the fills?

2) Did you manually label the 2x4 and 2x6, or is this a macro, or is this a label setting I am missing? Love that idea

image.thumb.png.e77f275c7e80afef61dcec99c2e9af98.png

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, wazzubrad said:

1) Any ideas on what I am missing on the fills?

2) Did you manually label the 2x4 and 2x6, or is this a macro, or is this a label setting I am missing?

1) Some fills need to be added (wherever there is no color showing). I already have different materials for different types of framing, so they show up as different colors. The lvl cross box is yellow and that was added manually. The hatch fills are a combination of Chief's auto-detail ( floor / ceiling layers) and manually added fill (moldings).

2) The lumber cross boxes are manually added from my library. Many years ago I made my own cad blocks for all dimensional lumber sizes, just for detasiling purposes. I simply enter '2x4' into my library, it shows up, and then I place it on the center of the existing crossbox. 

 

TIP: if you create a molding profile with a fill pattern, THEN add it to your library, the fill pattern will show up using the auto-detail function. All the trim profiles shown in that sample detail where cad blocks downloaded from the supplier then added to my library.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok, that makes sense that Auto Detail has filled in for some of those materials. Like the idea of creating molding profile fill pattern and adding to my library. Thanks again Rob

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • Member Statistics

    32343
    Total Members
    9156
    Most Online
    savannathomas
    Newest Member
    savannathomas
    Joined