Dedicated Graphics Card

dshall

Working with a Buddy,  he just bought a new computer,  a Lenovo Y50 Laptop,  internal graphics card is a Intel ® HD Graphics 4600  with open GL  (I ain't a genius with this stuff)

He also has a dedicated graphics card....  A Geforce GTX NVIDIA....  he does not know how to activate......  any ideas on what we need to do?

thx

Usually that on board graphics card gets disabled in the BIOS. To get to the BIOS setting you need to press a certain key while booting and that key can be a little different for each BIOS and computer. You should be able to find how to get into the BIOS with a manual or google it online to find the key. Looks like it's the F2 key. Hold the F2 key while booting up the computer. That should get you into the BIOS and the audio card settings are in there.

Disable the on board graphics. Many times as soon as you disable the on-board grahics the other card will be enabled but there might also be a setting for that NVidia card to be enabled in the BIOS as well. Hope that helps.

Go to the NVIDIA control panel. It has a place to set when to use the two different cards. Both are actually pretty fair performers for Chief so if you are running on battery power and want to conserve power using the Intel graphics is not a bad choice. On my laptop I have Chief set to use the NVIDIA card. but let other apps use the less power hungry Intel graphics.

Scott,

You shouldn't need to disable the on board card.  Simply open the Nvidia control panel, and under program settings tell it to use the Nvidia card for Chief.

The advantage of keeping the on board graphics available is that you can take advantage of the power saving features, which can be important on a laptop.