Formula for cabinet volume in schedule?

jcdurand

X13 user. I would like to calculate cabinet volume in cubic feet to be able to show a client current versus proposed storage in a kitchen. Using the Materials List, I am unable to create a custom formula because the cabinet depth, height and width is all in one text field. I am hoping there is a way to add a formula in a Custom Object Field for use in a schedule but haven't had luck with this yet, it just produces text (I have tried this through Preferences as well as on an individual cabinet). I also exported the schedule to excel, but the depth, width and height fields have the dimensions as text with " (e.g. 24 ") which does not work in an excel formula. Is there a way to do this? Thanks.

image.thumb.png.8740869aad7a7904479deb3e96894944.png

image.thumb.png.fcbd4febcda8ed5025f05e993869a664.png image.thumb.png.6b90316927cacf18bfdd9107b3e1cba3.png

I could write a custom macro for you that will accumulate the volumes and provide a total.  You would just need to place that macro in the cabinet labels (best in the Defaults for Cabinets) and it would create a $Global variable that you could display in a Text Box.

If you would like this just send me $25 via PayPal account joe.carrick@dslextreme.com and include your email address so I can send the macro to you.

Thanks Joe and Jason for your replies. I thought I was missing an easy solution within Chief but seems like there isn't one. I did end up manipulating the data in Excel to get a volume formula to work. Small project so there weren't that many records (cabinets). Would be nice if Chief had this option. Thanks much.

34 minutes ago, jasonn1234 said:

or just put 

%depth*width*height%

into one of the fields in the object information panel of the cabinet, and then report that on the schedule. result is cu feet

The problem there is that I think the main goal was to get a total volume calculation and I don't think you will get it that way with a stock schedule.

2 hours ago, jasonn1234 said:

or just put 

%depth*width*height%

into one of the fields in the object information panel of the cabinet, and then report that on the schedule. result is cu feet

image.thumb.png.793f352d87d8e60082c1a0d99f083fe8.png

Thanks the formula formatting worked, however Chopsaw is correct that I am unable to add a total in the standard schedule. But the data can be exported to excel without reformatting which is nice. Thanks for all the comments, appreciate it.

Just now, jasonn1234 said:

I think I put an enhancement request in for that one

Excellent.  It can be done with ruby but you need to ditch a lot of the other benefits of a Chief Schedule and start from scratch. A few extra clicks would be a great time saver if it could be done automatically.