Deep recessed windows

capitaldesigns

I am working on addition plans on a house that has 18" thick exterior walls. The doors and windows are recessed 16".
In Chief I selected the windows to be recessed, but when I place them into the plan they are only recessed a couple of inches.

How do I get the windows and doors to recess deeper than a couple of inches ?

Thanks,

Mike

• 3 months later...

That apparently does not work with doors. The jamb moves, but the doors stay on the same plane.

I have an old building that has half-round transom windows over the tall narrow pair of doors that are recessed about 18" into the 24" thick wall.

I can't get the mulled unit to show that much inset in the walls.

Also the window has a decorative exterior casing while the door does not. When I mull the unit, it adds or removes the casing at both the window & door. If I don't mull the unit, I get a casing between the door head and window bottom that I don't want.

You can use the settings to size and locate the jamb on the Jamb panel.

For the door, you may be able to use Recessed Into Wall>Recessed>To Main Layer.

But it will depend on your wall definition and how it effects other things.

You can create a wall with a main layer and a sheathing layer - make the joint line between the wall layers, the invisible line type so that the wall just looks like a full single layered wall.

Then use the Recessed option - you can control the recess distance by the thickness of the sheathing/main layer thicknesses.

1377297197_ScreenShot2022-03-06at5_54_51pm.thumb.jpg.e1f8553c931eaa9fc51f4cee47bba7cb.jpg