Roof Plane Help

mcrump

I have a roof plane sticking out over the garage and I cannot select it to edit it no mater what mode I am in. It's not on a locked layer but I can't pick it, window it or anything. I have never seen this before. Can someone please tell me if it is a bug, or simply operator error.

Cheek 1.zip

Michael,

It's the Auto Roof return from the garage wall. If you look at the garage from the front that left side wall has auto roof returns turned on. It looks like you want it turned on for the back corner but as you extend that roof plane to the left it's building a very large return (actually still over the garage wall) that's showing up as that orphaned, wild, roof plane. Can't select because it's auto generated.

To fix it I broke that left garage wall in half (see pic below) and spec'd the front half of the wall with no auto roof return. Now you can extend the roof to the left and it won't build the roof return on that side.

post-302-0-39922300-1419612418_thumb.png

Not knowing any better, I played around with the roof planes and noticed if you draw them in separately, Chief eliminates the return causing the problems.

Good solution I think, but for me, not being the sharpest tool in the shed, it took a while to figure out it was the return. After that you could probably solve it in a couple different ways.