PBR w/ Realtime Ray-tracing Questions in X13

kwhitt

1 hour ago, kwhitt said:

Thanks Mick.  The mirror material I used was from the library and I altered the settings from mirror to shiny metal.  It was a new material.  Would you mind rendering my scene using the saved camera right out of the box with no changes?  It works for me every time - just tested again...

Untitled-2.jpg

For some reason the Wall behind the Camera is RED ?  hence the "tint" in the Pics .....

image.thumb.png.7da4c5d81ad9b134d0125d864c9aeeff.png

Changing it back to default I still do not see a reflection as such ...of the Room like a Mirror ...... in fact

the Mirror goes "gray" like in your bathroom once the Wall is the default material again - cam moved to

side incase I was missing the room reflection

image.thumb.png.0be40cd2b8e599ea6b1bd1ea5450c624.png

with Refraction OFF in the RTRT technique DBX there is a reflection.....

image.thumb.png.9a1fe18ec291b9e3c3f90890264ad306.pngimage.thumb.png.0c0d7c76785c7c13cd93418958280a5d.png 

1 hour ago, Christina_Girerd said:

Oops - you're right.  Got distracted.  Here is a similar view (didn't save the other one) in a PBR export, again no materials or lighting changed.  This took a little longer, maybe over one minute, but I had video playing in another window which might have impacted it. 

b5.jpg

Thanks Christina for confirming the export works fine on your machine.

40 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

For some reason the Wall behind the Camera is RED ?  hence the "tint" in the Pics .....

image.thumb.png.7da4c5d81ad9b134d0125d864c9aeeff.png

Changing it back to default I still do not see a reflection as such ...of the Room like a Mirror ...... in fact

the Mirror goes "gray" like in your bathroom once the Wall is the default material again - cam moved to

side incase I was missing the room reflection

image.thumb.png.0be40cd2b8e599ea6b1bd1ea5450c624.png

with Refraction OFF in the RTRT technique DBX there is a reflection.....

image.thumb.png.9a1fe18ec291b9e3c3f90890264ad306.pngimage.thumb.png.0c0d7c76785c7c13cd93418958280a5d.png 

Mick - I think you misunderstood my method.  The wall is red intentionally, so that it unmistakably shows up in the mirror reflection.  Here is the same scene with a funky damask wallpaper and the pattern shows up in the reflection through reflective glass on the left mirror which is the shiny metal material hack.  The right mirror is the standard material set to mirror under properties and shows no reflection. This cannot be mistaken for an aberrant red hue. The engine, it seems, is capable of showing reflections through glass under certain circumstances.  Now only to find out what those circumstances might be...  Attached is the file for confirmation.

I think Chief's new engine is robust, but it now needs physically correct materials to complete it.

Untitled 12.jpg

Reflections Behind Glass02.plan

7 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

I think you misunderstood my method.  The wall is red intentionally

Nope , I just didn't see any red in the Mirror , so swapped it back to Default and it went "grey" not beige as expected..... maybe I had wrong plan ? you have posted a few , I'll try again with Glass02.....

Nope I don't have the Damask texture apparently let me try something else.

Mick.

I think that Hack is working , the Red Hue reflected on the Wall Glass , just made it look like it wasn't there , similar to the Chevron I used here , but rasing the ceiling and looking over the glass ( 1/2 / 1/2 )   confirms it..... looks a bit strange though.... and it is "fuzzy" unlike the real mirror being Metal reflection.

image.thumb.png.f7a4b7b6927601e2d50e8611d1943594.pngimage.thumb.png.7b4a0551da27d93028cad6f7a84cc709.png 

13 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Nope , I just didn't see any red in the Mirror , so swapped it back to Default and it went "grey" not beige as expected..... maybe I had wrong plan ? you have posted a few , I'll try again with Glass02.....

Nope I don't have the Damask texture apparently let me try something else.

Mick.

It's definitely showing up.  Here's a shot of a cylinder reflected in the mirror on the camera side of the refractive glass.  I'd be curious to see what you get.  I posted the file again in my latest post so as not to confuse with the others.

Untitled 13.jpg

5 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

Here's a shot of a cylinder reflected in the mirror on the camera side of the refractive glass.  I'd be curious to see what you get

You can see the Chevron wallpaper I used on the Wall, reflected on the Glass wall Camera side

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

You can see the Chevron wallpaper I used on the Wall, reflected on the Glass wall Camera side

Mick - I don't see your uploaded images, but thanks for confirming.  Now that I've spent the whole day on this, what does it mean?  Nothing really as I've spent hours trying to put what I've learned into practical use in my bathroom scene.  I've removed the wall and substituted for p-solids as the shower glass, drawn the p-solids in positive and negative directions in case the normals got flipped, removed the windows, changed my camera view to outside the shower tile volume, made the shower part of a larger room, tried various material adjustments, turned the p-solids into surfaces, etc., etc....  I can't recreate this simple setup into a practical application for a real scene.  Aside from all of this, I am excited to see the direction taken by Chief as pertains to their rendering engine.

I'm finished!  I think I'll pass on the new computer and turn off refraction for now.  It's still much better than anyone else is able to do in this market and the customer just won't notice there's no refraction.  Thanks for all the help today.  Hope I didn't wear you out!  Kevin

32 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

Mick - I don't see your uploaded images, but thanks for confirming.  Now that I've spent the whole day on this, what does it mean?  Nothing really as I've spent hours trying to put what I've learned into practical use in my bathroom scene.  I've removed the wall and substituted for p-solids as the shower glass, drawn the p-solids in positive and negative directions in case the normals got flipped, removed the windows, changed my camera view to outside the shower tile volume, made the shower part of a larger room, tried various material adjustments, turned the p-solids into surfaces, etc., etc....  I can't recreate this simple setup into a practical application for a real scene.  Aside from all of this, I am excited to see the direction taken by Chief as pertains to their rendering engine.

I'm finished!  I think I'll pass on the new computer and turn off refraction for now.  It's still much better than anyone else is able to do in this market and the customer just won't notice there's no refraction.  Thanks for all the help today.  Hope I didn't wear you out!  Kevin

You don't see 2 images in the post above yours with the RED Cylinder ? try this:

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/31348-pbr-w-realtime-ray-tracing-questions-in-x13/?do=findComment&comment=247266

Speaking of computer specs.... Im still driving around in my Model T Alienware waiting till Black Friday/Cyber Monday for wheels and deals on computers since everyone is saying the prices are bloated right now.  Ive been getting recommendations on several custom pc builders and the first thing I do is call tech support and see how long the wait time is and how the company handles customers.  75% of the places I called have HORRIBLE tech support/ customer service and Id never buy from them. 

Does anyone recommend any good places (price and good customer service) to get a pc ($3000 +/- ) desktop for X13?  I still have a few months before upgrading the computer so Im still kicking tires.

I already bought X13 but cant use it because the Model T doesnt run the new stuff.:lol:

4 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Speaking of computer specs.... Im still driving around in my Model T Alienware waiting till Black Friday/Cyber Monday for wheels and deals on computers since everyone is saying the prices are bloated right now.  Ive been getting recommendations on several custom pc builders and the first thing I do is call tech support and see how long the wait time is and how the company handles customers.  75% of the places I called have HORRIBLE tech support/ customer service and Id never buy from them. 

Does anyone recommend any good places (price and good customer service) to get a pc ($3000 +/- ) desktop for X13?  I still have a few months before upgrading the computer so Im still kicking tires.

I already bought X13 but cant use it because the Model T doesnt run the new stuff.:lol:

Chad - I've been dealing with pugentsystems.com.  They are currently 4 weeks out, but the customer service is great.  Their prices are in line when I've compared.  Geno is my contact there.

6 hours ago, kwhitt said:

I've been dealing with pugentsystems.com.

www.pugetsystems.com

I believe :) 

MarkMc just got a new Desktop from AXADirect - contact Kyle he told me he recommends them, and has ordered a 2nd system from them too....... but I built my Own.

M.

3 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

www.pugetsystems.com

I believe :) 

MarkMc just got a new Desktop from AXADirect - contact Kyle he told me he and recommends them, but I built my Own.

M.

You are correct!

On 7/14/2021 at 2:06 AM, Designer1 said:

Costco has a gaming computer for $3k that looks good.

https://www.costco.com/msi-aegis-rs-gaming-desktop---10th-gen-intel-core-i9-10900k---geforce-rtx-3080.product.100719183.html