elevations to layout

BruceKC

Hi all, I've looked everywhere that I can think of, training videos, Youtube videos, forums, etc.  and nowhere can I find a video that shows how to send an elevation to layout that works well.  I know how to send the elevation view to CAD detail and then to layout, but everyone keeps telling me that this method is not the way to do it.  I would like to be able to send elevations to layout so that they would automatically change in the future if changes were made to the plan, that seems ideal, but try as I might, everything I try to do in that direction looks terrible.  Is there a video somewhere that shows the steps to accomplish that?  Thanks.

Hello again, this is what I end up with on the side elevation.  While most of it is ok, the grade lines (while correct for the most part) do some weird loop on the front of the house and so that's not going to get sent to the layout.  Any thoughts?  thanks everyone.

side elevation.jpg

Thanks everyone.  I see so many elevations in the examples, and they all look very nice.  I'm trying to migrate to Chief from Autocad Architecture and I don't want to limit myself trying to make everything look like it's in Autocad.  However, I don't see a step by step video anywhere on how everyone is making their elevations look like they do.  I tried to send this one to Layout, and I added shadows, (which I like), but the line where the siding overhangs the foundation cast a shadow as if the siding we a foot thick..didn't look very nice.

You might want to have a look at this video series:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/playlists/105/layout-construction-documents.html

You might also want to check out the samples gallery:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/products/samples.html

In particular, some of the samples have full plan sets and even some associated "how to" videos that might be worth looking at.  I would maybe take a look at Breckenridge, Bachelor View, Grandview, and/or Lake Point.

3 hours ago, BruceKC said:

but the line where the siding overhangs the foundation cast a shadow as if the siding we a foot thick..didn't look very nice.

When in the elevation or section view, go to the Adjust Sunlight icon and play with the sun direction and angle. You can "fine tune" so that shadow might not be so large but still looks good.

adjust sun icon.JPG

13 minutes ago, BruceKC said:

When I do a side elevation, and I turn shadows on, there are now no shadows.  I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. 

Did you play with the 'adjust sunlight angle' options?  If you select sun follows camera then you should get shadows automatically, but you can fine tune manually

I did, and in the first elevation view, that worked perfectly, but in the second elevation view, it did nothing at all. Same is true for the other 3 elevations, shadows don't work and all the settings are now identical.