Contemporary Siding Look

Chris50

OK, after I played whole day with all kinds of Solids, and moving them back and forth, I found that Glenn solved that problem a year ago, and Joe is wright - wall material regions are solving this problem.

Solids are just creating problems, covering windows, piercing through roof planes, Z-fight with actual wall, they just doesn't look like solution.

Just in case, http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread.php?65702-Modern-Box-Siding-issues - link to previous post.

Trick is to use thin wall material regions as kind of seams, with activated option "Cut finish layers of parent object". These work by "plowing" narrow seams in basic wall material. These regions can be moved, stretched, rotated, scaled...

At this image wall regions are 3/4" thick, and copied using intervals of 36-3/4". First one was copied in place, rotated and moved 24" above bottom of the wall. This horizontal seam (or expansion joint, as DSHall like's to call them) was copied with interval of 24 3/4". And they break at openings, and no solid was moved and stuff...

Only problem that I haven't solved is basic wall material. This looks realistic only when covered with endless seamless material like Wallboards.

Next step is to work out problem with another material region for tile - it will probably work as not activated "cut layers" option, to create 24x36 wall-boards, and to copy them as intervals, same as "seams".

-Kbird1, I tried CertainTeed, and non of materials looks like decent wall panel. Hardie should make some kind of material library.

What I need is to make paneled siding, and kind of most available in the real world are HardiePlank. And they look good and last.

So, frankly, I would be perfectly happy with any manufacturer, in condition that real product is easily available, like in any Home Depot or Lowe's. I can't use some imagined material by some exotic producer and wait like forever to be delivered by Pony-Express...

post-1711-0-83162900-1432326051_thumb.jpg

post-1711-0-82380000-1432326091_thumb.jpg

You need to think in reverse.  Your Exterior Wall Layer is "Hardieplank".  The "Wall Material Regions" you would use would be a "Thin Material" with "Cuts Wall Surface Layers" checked.  You make these about 1/2" wide or tall (depending on the direction) as seams to "break up" the wall surface.  IOW, you are making "Reversed Wall Material Regions".

I just did exactly that, thank you. Only, I still haven't figured out how to make panels (wooden, looking real good on your image). I am working on that...

When I tried to make material similar to HardiePlank, it's really hard work to align texture with seams. So, I used wallboards for now, but there must be some logical way around that problem...

Thanks for prompt response...

Yes I do, and I find it hard to make accurate building set by using invented materials. My problem with Chief is that I am trying to do the job from the start thinking about the end - like Wall framing plans, Materials list, Cutting sheets and stuff. So, I try to make walls which will fit perfectly into 4x8 feet plywood, without cutting, and exact number of wall panels, Hardie or not, which will fit exactly from (manufacturers) corner board to corner board etc, without endless measuring and cutting on the site.

Nothing eats my nerves as loss of time when they start to cut without the end of a day in sight...

But sometimes this is really hard.

I understand.....

It's a part of the construction process.  As much as we try to avoid "cutting", the fact is that construction is always going to have some imperfections in measurements.  There are also expansion and contraction problems to deal with.  I think the best we can do is come close and make things so there's as little cutting and waste as we can get.  For that reason it's usually better to make things a little bit smaller than bigger.  You can cut a few inches or centimeters off of a sheet of plywood but it's really hard to stretch it at all. 

-Kbird1, I tried CertainTeed, and non of materials looks like decent wall panel. Hardie should make some kind of material library.

What I need is to make paneled siding, and kind of most available in the real world are HardiePlank. And they look good and last.

So, frankly, I would be perfectly happy with any manufacturer, in condition that real product is easily available, like in any Home Depot or Lowe's. I can't use some imagined material by some exotic producer and wait like forever to be delivered by Pony-Express...

You asked about Hardi Plank ( like Siding), not Hardi Panel , same material , different Product though, you are right about CertainTeed's panels , they are not true Panels. I have already asked in the Suggestions Forum for a True Hardi Library , so . you could add your vote for that there   https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/3529-add-a-james-hardi-panel-and-plank-library-please/?hl=hardi

I actually did my last one the opposite way around, I made the wall black/brown ( colour of the Reveal ) and then made 4'x8'x5/16 thick material regions the colour I wanted, and multiple copied them at 48 3/4" (vertical panels) across the wall, though there maybe reasons for not doing it that way ? ( panels spec'd NOT to cut wall surface)   similar to this 

post-315-0-40762200-1432329931_thumb.jpg

That is what I tried at first, but, from some reason, maybe because it was first time that I payed any attention to Wall material region, regions were all over the place.

Anyway, I planned to use regions in exactly that way to make panels.

My plan is to have reveals as cut wall surface, and panels as non-cut.

-I have entire list of libraries that I could use, but somehow I believe that it's up to manufacturer, not up to Chief crew to make materials. Or I'm wrong?

Couple of years ago some friends of mine was hired by Pella to make 3d AutoCAD blocks for windows and patio doors.

Anyway, I will vote, we have nothing to loose.