Tray Ceiling Vs Stepped Ceiling

mcrump

Michael:

Great question! 

If the home will have trusses, the trusses can have an inboard step (you probably know that) up such that the ceiling elevation at the walls and the bottom chords of the trusses at that location match.  You'll have to create the stepped ceiling condition for this to work.  If the roof and ceiling are manually framed, that portion of the work is a bit more complicated than the truss method.  We are pretty much all trusses in the Pacific Northwest where I work so I can't comment from personal experience on framing a step in the ceiling joists.  I've seen articles on the subject but never had to do one yet.

A consideration for using framed soffits around the perimeter (or in other areas as needed) and maintain level ceiling framing (i.e. truss bottom chords) is that this is a great way to provide conditioned space for electrical, plumbing, ventilation, canned lights, etc. and not have to deal with energy leaks.  If you go this route, ideally, the whole ceiling should be sheet rocked before framing down the soffits.

If I am doing the soffit framed down method, I like to have the rough ceiling height at 9' minimum ... or higher.  The stepped ceiling (framing) option creates a vertical surface that you'll need to make sure gets a proper insulation detail IMO.  If you don't, don't be surprised if a mediocre insulation contractor doesn't cut the insulation a little short at the corners of the step.  I have seen this happen in my area.  Good insulation installers don't let those sorts of details slip by.  If the plan details cover that, then the contractor needs to install the insulation accordingly and you've covered your tail by including the detail(s).

I would raise the ceiling in that room and use the soffit tool or a polyline solid and make my adjustments and as Curt said it depends on what you are doing if it is a truss roof or stick built which I always did and I would raise the clg jsts to the height that I wanted and then box down for the stepped clg

I have done a few of these lately where I raise the bottom chord of the truss, builder likes it as it is less work for him.

I have attached a picture of the current project which is currently a live x-sect but a work in progress as we are changing a few things .

Nice job Graeme.  How did you get the 2x4 nailers at the bottom of truss to show up?  Is that cad in section view or are they live 2x4's.......  pardon me,  I am not sure what you guys call 2x4's down under.