Sign in to follow this  
portrait

Making Openings Visible In Orthographic Overview Plan Views

Recommended Posts

Hello,  I occassionally need to present the conceptual floor plans, and have been using Autocad+Photoshop for this task. However this kind of task could easily be achieved with Chief Architect using the orthographic floor overview, and taking a top view.

 

The problem about floor overview is that the slicing plane is just under the ceiling, and the view doesn't show you the windows and doors.  I would like to know if there's a setting to change the height of the slicing plane, so we could gather a plan which the windows and doors are visible.  I know that by changing the rendering type to standart, tech. illustration, etc. cross-section slider is enabled, and you can adjust the vertical position of the slicing plane. However this is not an option for me, since techniques other than 'vector view' disables the chance to get "CAD Detail from View". (Which is cruical to send the plan view to Autocad-->making pdf-->and sending to Photoshop for final enhancements) 

 

Another method i use is temporarily lowering the ceiling height, so the openings are taller than the walls, and become visible. But this is a tricky way, and i would like to know if there's anything i have been missing. 

Thanks...  

 

example.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, portrait said:

Hello,  I occassionally need to present the conceptual floor plans, and have been using Autocad+Photoshop for this task. However this kind of task could easily be achieved with Chief Architect using the orthographic floor overview, and taking a top view.

 

The problem about floor overview is that the slicing plane is just under the ceiling, and the view doesn't show you the windows and doors.  I would like to know if there's a setting to change the height of the slicing plane, so we could gather a plan which the windows and doors are visible.  I know that by changing the rendering type to standart, tech. illustration, etc. cross-section slider is enabled, and you can adjust the vertical position of the slicing plane. However this is not an option for me, since techniques other than 'vector view' disables the chance to get "CAD Detail from View". (Which is cruical to send the plan view to Autocad-->making pdf-->and sending to Photoshop for final enhancements) 

 

Another method i use is temporarily lowering the ceiling height, so the openings are taller than the walls, and become visible. But this is a tricky way, and i would like to know if there's anything i have been missing. 

Thanks...  

 

example.jpg

Search for Cross-Section Slider.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope. Cross-section slider doesn't work with vector view.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't start with that camera. Start with the PERSPECTIVE OVERVIEW camera, then change to the look you want and use the slider.

Floor Overview.jpg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks. But there are still two problems. First of all, when i switched to vector view, cross-slider is disabled again. I don't know how you were able to use cross-slider in that view.

Secondly, i prefer a parallel projection. A real plan view. Perspective overview doesn't provide a real top view, it's still a perspective.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, portrait said:

Thanks. But there are still two problems. First of all, when i switched to vector view, cross-slider is disabled again. I don't know how you were able to use cross-slider in that view.

Secondly, i prefer a parallel projection. A real plan view. Perspective overview doesn't provide a real top view, it's still a perspective.

image.thumb.png.f3dbab6a1b97aa4fd9376646908c439c.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, rgardner said:

image.thumb.png.f3dbab6a1b97aa4fd9376646908c439c.png

Nice, but windows and doors are not visible. That's what i'm asking for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, portrait said:

Nice, but windows and doors are not visible. That's what i'm asking for.

image.thumb.png.9f3bea8849737a83cbf0dcae5ec1425d.png

 

You can show the doors at least in this view but not the swing arc.  Sliding doors are also troublesome.

 

A work around is to send it to layout with the doors not shown open like this and then overlay a line drawing with the slice set showing the doors/windows in a plot lines type directly over the first.  You will then be able to see it all.  Sorry Don't have time to show you what I mean but it is possible I believe.  This type of view is not very common in the US market so I doubt it is high priority for chief.  This just happened to be a personal project for a close friend in Central America where this is common and they wanted to see it.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got part-way there using Technical Illustration:

 

slider.thumb.PNG.f27cbf4e4be9105d75124041ae84362a.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the comments. I think i'll stick with lowering the floor heights method- so that the openings are higher than the walls and they become visible. Gathering the output as a CAD file is a major priority for me.

The other feature i would be tempted with is the ability of getting shadow borders as a CAD data on elevation views and perspective. As far as i figure out, no program has this ability.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Member Statistics

    29346
    Total Members
    9156
    Most Online
    schaeffjax
    Newest Member
    schaeffjax
    Joined