Auto Deck Framing Issue


Chopsaw
 Share

Recommended Posts

If you don't like the auto behavior you could always go into your template plan and change the "Deck" room defaults to always have the floor framing group on number 2. This helps ensure that all decks are built against the house and never "into" the house.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Any thoughts on why auto deck framing would invade a porch room by the thickness of the exterior wall beyond the defined deck room ?

 

image.thumb.png.164fb41924cb37891995317fa8c2e6aa.png

 

It's just a behavior associated with the Porch room type.  If the bottom of the defined floor structure in the Porch room is higher than the bottom of the defined floor structure in the deck room, then the deck will build through.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

It's just a behavior associated with the Porch room type.  If the bottom of the defined floor structure in the Porch room is higher than the bottom of the defined floor structure in the deck room, then the deck will build through.

 

Interesting but I am at a loss as to when and why you might actually want that default behaviour ?  And yes a deck should always be below the porch level as would be expected. No ?

 

12 minutes ago, misterwiley said:

Open the deck room specification dialog box, go to the Structure tab, and change the "framing group" from 1 to 2. Click ok and rebuild the deck framing.

 

At least there is a solution this time.  Thank You.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

And yes a deck should always be below the porch level as would be expected. No ? 

 

I don't know the answer to that.  I barely even know what a "porch" is or under what specific circumstances people are using that particular room type.  The term just seems to mean all sorts of different things to different people.  At the end of the day, Chief gave us options though, both with regard to which Room Type we use and with regard to the various framing controls (Framing Groups, Retain Framing, Manual Framing, etc.).  If you don't think the behavior is correct you can always send that in.  I personally don't have a problem with it and I don't know...maybe there's a good reason for it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Any thoughts on why auto deck framing would invade a porch room by the thickness of the exterior wall beyond the defined deck room ?

 

image.thumb.png.164fb41924cb37891995317fa8c2e6aa.png

 

3 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

 

It's just a behavior associated with the Porch room type.  If the bottom of the defined floor structure in the Porch room is higher than the bottom of the defined floor structure in the deck room, then the deck will build through.

 

3 hours ago, misterwiley said:

Open the deck room specification dialog box, go to the Structure tab, and change the "framing group" from 1 to 2. Click ok and rebuild the deck framing.

I have struggled with this default darned deck eating into the exterior wall situation for, well forever.  I had no idea that there was such an easy solution and had been manually adjusting the ledger on every project.   Finally, an answer!!   Awesome...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Doug_N said:

I have struggled with this default darned deck eating into the exterior wall situation for, well forever.  I had no idea that there was such an easy solution and had been manually adjusting the ledger on every project. 

 

So I assume that means you have no idea why anyone would ever frame a situation like that in such an awkward way having tried to figure it out every time it happens ?

I don't think it would even meet code here. :angry:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

 

So I assume that means you have no idea why anyone would ever frame a situation like that in such an awkward way having tried to figure it out every time it happens ?

I don't think it would even meet code here. :angry:

Oh yes, you have hit the nail on the head, thus avoiding thumb damage.  Lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • Member Statistics

    30062
    Total Members
    9156
    Most Online
    oldmillhomes
    Newest Member
    oldmillhomes
    Joined