Dimensions

BruceKC

New to X12, and I like it very much.  However, one of the issues I had with Chief in the past was the difficulty of dimensions and why they didn't always work correctly.  I'm trying to do my first plan in X12, and am having a lot of problems, but the main one is STILL dimensions.  All of the dimensions in this plan are correct and add up in the proper increments, except for the one outlined on the front porch.  Can anyone explain to me how this is even possible???  Very frustrated here.  Thanks for your help.

dimension screwup.jpg

Ok, I figured out what is happening, but I'm still terribly frustrated.  It appears that the dimensioning is NOT going to the same spot (Wall dimension layer) every time and is instead going to something else, (God knows what!)  When I set up the drawings, I made the "locate objects" set to "Wall dimension layer", but that keeps unchecking itself I think. What the am I doing wrong?

1 hour ago, BruceKC said:

My "locate objects" is properly set, but the program continues to dimension to different places.  Very confusing.

Welcome to the world of "how come?" in CA. Sometimes CA just grabs something it chooses to dimension to. This has been noted several times in prior posts. Does that make you feel any better being a "club member?" :) I love CA, but it has some quirks at times.

I have done that, and it works, but I don't understand why it's doing it.  My "locate objects" is properly set, but the program continues to dimension to different places.  Very confusing.

I still suggest that you go and watch that video series on dimensions.  It may take some time but I think it could greatly reduce your confusion.

My best guess is that you don't have your locate objects setup correctly.  From the picture, it looks like the dimension is locating the wall center but it could also be locating an object that is hidden by the wall or maybe something even less obvious.  I doubt anyone will be able to give you a more informed answer unless you were to post the plan along with a good description of what dimension tool you are using and how you are drawing the dimension.

And if you, or anyone else, finds a case where a dimension locates an object that it should not, then please feel free to report this to our technical support team.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Dermot said:

I still suggest that you go and watch that video series on dimensions.  It may take some time but I think it could greatly reduce your confusion.

My best guess is that you don't have your locate objects setup correctly.  From the picture, it looks like the dimension is locating the wall center but it could also be locating an object that is hidden by the wall or maybe something even less obvious.  I doubt anyone will be able to give you a more informed answer unless you were to post the plan along with a good description of what dimension tool you are using and how you are drawing the dimension.

And if you, or anyone else, finds a case where a dimension locates an object that it should not, then please feel free to report this to our technical support team.  

Yes you should watch the video but  Ridge_Runner is right!. There are some bugs in CA for sure. Have fun with the auto electrical outlets . 

thanks everyone, I really appreciate all of your help.  I think at this point, the plan has to go out to the client today and I'm going to move it over and redraw it in Autocad Architecture.  There are just too many problems with the plan at this point to try and finish it in Chief and still get it to the client.  I'll try another plan soon when I have more time to finish it.  Thanks again, I really, truly appreciate your help and support.  Stay safe everyone!