Exterior Stair Question

JamesKCI

Hey All,

My company is in the process of making the switch from Autodesk Revit to Chief Arch (Version X12) and I have been spending my time trying to create a lot of commonly used design elements we use on our plans but I have run into a hiccup. I'm trying to create a small, inset-type staircase (attached image is what I've done in Revit in the past) that is typically used on our plans to go from grade-level sidewalk to the main floor elevation. In my attempts, stairs either fail to recognize the elements around them or if I create them like I would in Revit in creates this garbled configuration where the stairs are their own room and the footprint of the stairs themselves cut a hole through the roof.

Checking Forums, YouTube, and the Chief site have all yielded nothing and I in my limited knowledge cannot figure it out. What am I missing?

Stair Snip.JPG

12 minutes ago, JamesKCI said:

Hey All,

My company is in the process of making the switch from Autodesk Revit to Chief Arch (Version X12) and I have been spending my time trying to create a lot of commonly used design elements we use on our plans but I have run into a hiccup. I'm trying to create a small, inset-type staircase (attached image is what I've done in Revit in the past) that is typically used on our plans to go from grade-level sidewalk to the main floor elevation. In my attempts, stairs either fail to recognize the elements around them or if I create them like I would in Revit in creates this garbled configuration where the stairs are their own room and the footprint of the stairs themselves cut a hole through the roof.

Checking Forums, YouTube, and the Chief site have all yielded nothing and I in my limited knowledge cannot figure it out. What am I missing?

Stair Snip.JPG

As Eric says lots of ways to do this.  I would most likely create a separate room where the stairs are and drop the floor to the grade level and make it open to below but setting ceiling height absolute the same as the porch.  Then I would build the stairs using the stair tool.

1 hour ago, joey_martin said:

I generally just place a set back in the porch and add the stairs to spec...

image.thumb.png.59992ba7e9cc0a431bccf5033630b769.png

image.thumb.png.bbeaa7a2610fa143e340f675f1991de2.png

Easy way to do it as well but you need to manually adjust the roof for this as it will notch around that.  

9 hours ago, JamesKCI said:

My company is in the process of making the switch from Autodesk Revit to Chief Arch (Version X12)

Now that’s encouraging to hear. 

If Revit Light had collaboration, it would be affordable but I can’t imagine the kind of expense to run multiple seats of Revit. 
$$$$