jorgeb

TECHNICAL HELP (graphics card? ram?)

I was wondering if anyone in the forum can recommend what upgrades I can use to allow me to have Chief Architect run smoother. I am an interior design student and my PC does an 6/10 job when it comes to viewing spaces in 3D, especially when the space starts to become around 2,000 square feet. 

I currently am using an HP Pavilion All-in-One - 24-r114 PC. It has an Intel(R) Core (TM) i5-8400T CPU @ 1.70GHz - Installed RAM 12GB. Graphics Card Integrated Intel UHD Graphics & 2TB storage (around 1.7TB storage still available)

I am no tech-geek and have not upgraded anything on this pc. I really do not understand what RAM is or even the graphics card. Instead of purchasing a gaming-type PC to assist with the rendering, I am wondering what alternatives I have that may allow my all-in-one PC to run much smoother with large scale renderings. Thank you!

It looks to me like the CPU itself is most likely your bottleneck.  I really don’t think upgrading anything is going to do much good.  

Well, the one thing that MIGHT help would be to upgrade your hard drive to an SSD.  It’s not clear from your description though and you may already have an SSD installed.

You could also upgrade your video card 

Just now, Alaskan_Son said:

It looks to me like the CPU itself is your bottleneck.  I really don’t think upgrading anything is going to do any good.  Well, the one thing that MIGHT help would be to upgrade your hard drive to an SSD.  It’s not clear from your description though and you may already have an SSD installed.

I believe it's 2TB SSD. 

5 minutes ago, jorgeb said:

I believe it's 2TB SSD. 

You might be able to get a little extra speed with an upgraded video card but if you do, I really doubt it would be much and I doubt it would be worth the investment.  Maybe if you were a techy geek who did the work themselves and had another use for the video card and possible power source upgrade  (that may or may not help)...Otherwise, I think you should probably just keep plugging away with what you have and save up to upgrade to a completely new machine when you’re ready to pull the trigger. 

4 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

You might be able to get a little extra speed with an upgraded video card but if you do, I really doubt it would be much and I doubt it would be worth the investment.  Maybe if you were a techy geek who did the work themselves and had another use for the video card and possible power source upgrade  (that may or may not help)...Otherwise, I think you should probably just keep plugging away with what you have and save up to upgrade to a completely new machine when you’re ready to pull the trigger. 

Thanks for your input! Is there a PC type you recommend? I only use Chief Architect and some AutoCAD. I will have to use Revvit and more Sketchup in the future and add a bit of gaming in there (nothing extreme). I don't know how much additional RAM, video card etc my pc may be able to handle, but if it would cost less than 1.5k USD, I would rather do that than buy a whole new PC with new monitors and accessories, etc that may add up to 3kish. 

6 hours ago, jorgeb said:

PC does an 6/10 job when it comes to viewing spaces in 3D, especially when the space starts to become around 2,000 square feet.

The primary hardware involved in 3D views is the CPU & Video Card and unfortunately neither of these can be upgraded in your HP All-in-one. I .think as has been suggested is that your best bet is to save up some funds and purchase a better overall system. To keep costs down you could consider a refurbished or open box system or possibly a used gaming desktop such as a prior generation Alienware Aurora.

I would call HP, but it doesn't look like your computer can be upgraded to a dedicated video card. 

LOOK HERE

Lack of a dedicated graphics card is the largest problem.