narrow to wider stairs?

DianeP

is this allowed?    Wanting to do this so that the opening at the top of the wider stairs will match the double door on the house.  I remember reading the landing is supposed to be the same width as the stairs, but wasn't sure if it would work if the stairs came to the landing from different directions, so thought  I would ask one of you experts.   Seems like a 6x6' landing would be incredibly large.   Thanks!  

image.thumb.png.3cd7d1e098aea0210cbbaa787bf82fe2.png

12 minutes ago, DianeP said:

I remember reading the landing is supposed to be the same width as the stairs

Yours are. Your landing, as drawn, is the same width where the stair sections touch it. What doesn't work is where the landing is "narrower" than the stair section that it connects to.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ridge_Runner said:

Yours are. Your landing, as drawn, is the same width where the stair sections touch it. What doesn't work is where the landing is "narrower" than the stair section that it connects to.

Thanks Mike, that makes sense.  Not sure how/why anyone would want to create that situation.  

Please check with your local building department because this stair configuration may not meet code requirements.  I was told that stairs are never supposed to get narrower along the path of egress.  

I would also encourage you to delete your other post.

On 10/8/2020 at 9:27 PM, rgardner said:

Looks good.  Btw you put up

two of these threads.  You may consider deleting the other one to keep everything clean.

23 hours ago, Dermot said:

Please check with your local building department because this stair configuration may not meet code requirements.  I was told that stairs are never supposed to get narrower along the path of egress.  

I would also encourage you to delete your other post.

Sorry, I didn't mean to post both of them, but they both have some really good information in the replies,  Is there a way to merge the posts?

23 hours ago, Dermot said:

I believe they are still good in most AHJs since it is overall more width than the original upper set when combined and offers 2 egress points.  But again every AHJ is going to have their own interpretation.  Probably a quick email to that entity would clear it up for you.