what do you want in your next Architect lamp?

ChiefSmi

Hello, 

My name is Jared Smith, I just started studying “Product development and Innovation” at SDU in Odense, Denmark.
Me and my group has been assigned a semester project, which consists of us redesigning an Architects lamp. 

We’ve been handed a lamp and it is our task to come up with a new design and new features to add to the lamp.
For us to understand the market we’re reaching out to several architects around the world, to get a picture of, what opinions and ideas are required to create a good working space. 

My question for you now is, what requirement does a lamp have to fulfil to optimize working on projects? Which lighting is good and does the design matter? We appreciate any ideas, suggestions and/or opinions.
We hope you could find time, to help and we’re looking forward to hearing from you. 

Kind regards, Jared Smith 

When I sketch, I am at the same seat as when I use my keyboard. I will just move my keyboard out of the way and work with some trace paper or a drawing pad. Therefore I am generally using the light of my monitor. I would suggest you work on a filter/magnifier of light from the monitor. No additional energy but a modification for the energy being used right in front of me.

On 9/29/2020 at 8:17 AM, ChiefSmi said:

Hello, 

My name is Jared Smith, I just started studying “Product development and Innovation” at SDU in Odense, Denmark.
Me and my group has been assigned a semester project, which consists of us redesigning an Architects lamp. 

We’ve been handed a lamp and it is our task to come up with a new design and new features to add to the lamp.
For us to understand the market we’re reaching out to several architects around the world, to get a picture of, what opinions and ideas are required to create a good working space. 

My question for you now is, what requirement does a lamp have to fulfil to optimize working on projects? Which lighting is good and does the design matter? We appreciate any ideas, suggestions and/or opinions.
We hope you could find time, to help and we’re looking forward to hearing from you. 

Kind regards, Jared Smith 

Double knuckle articulating arms are outdated. Would love to see a single piston single knuckle arm with an integrated led to be ultra sleek. Seeing as this is the tech age, I would incorporate standard mountable hardware for attaching such things as a standard microphone for dual purpose use. Also would be nice to quickly shift locations of such a lamp nby creating a mounting system that is easy to detach and mount to say a mic stand or wall mount bracket.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

My comment would be similar to the ones above.

I have my computer under a large shelf that provides an extra surface area as well as to keep the light off the screen.  I do have a small clip on LED directional light clipped to the edge of this upper shelf.  This small, but bright light is directional and can be directed away form the screen and down onto the desk in order to light my work area when I need it for reading and such.

I used to think that a large overhead light would be the best possible lighting set up.  I just never got around to it and now I am glad that I didn't.  I like the small, bright and directed light much better.

BTW  I have a second monitor off to the side, and a Flat Screen TV a distance away to the front.  Works for me.

Good Luck with your project, hopefully this is not to late for you and your team.

• 5 months later...

I bought my wife, who does craft work & painting, this lamp several year ago. 

https://tinyurl.com/42vtsrhf

They did not have the dimmer & color temp control then. I think these features are desirable.

I like the sleek and simple design and the flexible arm. I would consider one for my desk if they had a table model with a longer arm.

My office has good lighting so I'm not really in the market. If I could change anything with my lighting it would be a dimmer with light temperature control.

In the morning & evenings I like lower light levels with a warm temperature. That's what happen when you get old & picky.

Good luck with your project.