KTransue

Text Macro for "Saved Plan View" Name?

Anyone know if there is a text macro that reflects the name of a "Saved Plan View" attached to a layout window view port?  I've looked, and searched ChiefTalk, and even a general Google search, but I'm not finding anything.  Am I missing the obvious?

Pretty sure that is what the "Automatic Label" gives you.  Or %automatic_label% if you want to combine it with other data.

%view_name% placed in the Saved Plan View.  Suppress the Layout Box Label.

• Upvote 1

Thank you ... Though, I'm not sure how to make use of that.  In the layout (where I would like it), do I then query that text box's macro's value?  If so, how?  Or, again, what am I missing?

1 hour ago, KTransue said:

Thank you ... Though, I'm not sure how to make use of that.  In the layout (where I would like it), do I then query that text box's macro's value?  If so, how?  Or, again, what am I missing?

If you are referring to Joe's suggestion, then you would be placing that text box in the actual plan view (NOT in layout). 

OK.  That isn't what I'm looking for.  I'm looking for a way to get the name of the saved plan view in a form that I can use it in the fields available to my layout.  Essentially, it would become the descriptive name in the page title.  Ideas?

21 minutes ago, KTransue said:

OK.  That isn't what I'm looking for.  I'm looking for a way to get the name of the saved plan view in a form that I can use it in the fields available to my layout.  Essentially, it would become the descriptive name in the page title.  Ideas?

First thing I would highlight is that any given page can have multiple layout boxes, so there's no reasonable way a Page Title could automatically be populated with that information (since there's no way of Chief knowing which of the layout boxes it should be using).  You do have a few options though:

1. Probably pretty obvious, but just enter the information manually. 
  2. Use the Layout Box Label and just drag it over into position and rotate it.  This of course wouldn't help your Layout Page Table if you use one.
  3. Use the %automatic_label% macro in a text box in layout and connect it to your desired layout box using a text line with arrow (with the invisible line style or with the layer simply turned off).  This one is much easier to copy and paste from page to page, but again, doesn't help your Layout Page Table.  

I personally just enter the desired title manually. 

Thanks, Michael.  Great points, and much appreciated.  I was indeed trying to jump the "manual" fence, but I have to enter in the rest of the page info manually anyway, so it's fine to stick with that.  I was just hoping that, within the layout page info dialog box, I could utilize a macro field that would change that value for me.