Electrical Lighting And Power Plans

4hotshoez

I have a large enough plan to justify a lighting plan separate from the outlet or power plan. But I noticed that both symbols default to the electric layer. If I need two plans for each, how have others kept outlets, lights and wiring separated on layers?

I know I could create new layers and change them, but how do I get them to insert on the right layer?

You will probably need to save outlets to the library with the layer assignment that you desire and then grab from there to place your electrical items. If I remember correctly you may need to group some items and save the group to the library or the electrical items will default back to the electrical layer. Maybe...

I have created new layer sets and layers, then after completing the lighting layout I changed the objects to the new layers. Then placed the outlets. They are on two separate layers now, but any new lights and wires will come in on the default layers and will need to manually change them. This is not hard to do. But to alert myself, the layers are different colors. Nevertheless, I wish there was an option to create separate defaults.

Todd, I believe that if there is a 'Thread' running through many ChiefTalk Threads, it is that we'd like more control of objects and their default layers. This is another example.

I have often wanted to separate "Allowance" lighting fixtures from what the electrician is expected to supply - both on the Electrical sheet and the Schedule. What you are suggesting would be helpful.

How about posting this in the Suggestion Area?

Todd, I believe that if there is a 'Thread' running through many ChiefTalk Threads, it is that we'd like more control of objects and their default layers. This is another example.

I have often wanted to separate "Allowance" lighting fixtures from what the electrician is expected to supply - both on the Electrical sheet and the Schedule. What you are suggesting would be helpful.

How about posting this in the Suggestion Area?

I am planning to post it there after a bit, but I have been verbally attacked for making suggestions that they say Chief can do. So if others can verify that it is not a feature, I post it in the suggestions.

I have a large enough plan to justify a lighting plan separate from the outlet or power plan. But I noticed that both symbols default to the electric layer. If I need two plans for each, how have others kept outlets, lights and wiring separated on layers?

I know I could create new layers and change them, but how do I get them to insert on the right layer?

I almost never get my stuff  from the  library.  I almost always get my stuff from a previous plan or a "WAREHOUSE PLAN".

The previous  plan and the "WAREHOUSE PLAN" have the items on the layer I want them.  So when I copy them to the new plan they go on the layer I want them on.  I have found this much quicker than going to the library for each and every item.  

Alan's suggestion of blocking a bunch of things and putting them in the library is a very good alternative solution.  The blocked items should be on the layer you  want them and when you bring them into your new plan and unblock,  all that stuff is on the layer you want it on.

I am not pooh poohing the idea of changing the default layer for electrical items,  but if you really think about it,  one of the two methods I mentioned above are much quicker than going to a library for each item and mucking with changing default layers.

When it comes to electrical symbols,  I have the smoke det. and carbon monoxide set. on a layer,  ceiling fans on another layer,  (e) vanity lights and (n) vanity lights on another and so on.  The reason being is I always have a separate electric plan......  but I do want to show my ceiling fans on the floor plan for presentation purposes.......  (e) and (n) vanity lights on different layers so I have the option to show only new on the electrical plan but for all floor overviews I want to see all vanity lights......  and on and on.......  so I just copy stuff from a previous plan that already has that stuff on the correct layer..... not a  perfect solution,  but it works for me.

Hey,  what happened to the Chargers yesterday,  jeez.... and the  Cowboys......  I might have to go back to watching basketball or hockey.