j2narchitecture

First Floor Walls When Deleted Turning Into Attic Walls

Hello. 

I am starting a remodeling plan based off of an existing plan.

When I delete an exterior first floor wall (i.e. a wall that is being demolished), an attic wall shows in its place and the floor disappears in perspective overview.

Why are attic walls being automatically generated for my first floor exterior walls?

Any suggestion on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated. 

TIA !

Remodel 1.plan

I always just turn off attic walls in plan view. if you want the existing floor to show, you need to add reference sets as needed. Chief has videos on their web site about this.

11 minutes ago, j2narchitecture said:

When I delete an exterior first floor wall (i.e. a wall that is being demolished), an attic wall shows in its place

It's helpful to add a note in the plan showing the problem wall.

Which wall is it?

Your foundation wall is trying to build through to the roof.

Thank you everybody for your feedback.

@DRAWZILLA I would also need to turn off the attic walls in the perspective overview and that creates other issues on gable walls.

@solver  Attached is a pic of the particular wall I need to remove.  

@rgardner Is there a way to stop the foundation from trying to build up to the roof?  I tried the Wall Specs --> Structure ---> Platform settings to see if any of these would work.  No luck.

CA 1.jpg

1 minute ago, j2narchitecture said:

Thank you everybody for your feedback.

@DRAWZILLA I would also need to turn off the attic walls in the perspective overview and that creates other issues on gable walls.

@solver  Attached is a pic of the particular wall I need to remove.  

@rgardner Is there a way to stop the foundation from trying to build up to the roof?  I tried the Wall Specs --> Structure ---> Platform settings to see if any of these would work.  No luck.

CA 1.jpg

Move the foundation wall to the new location, or you can select the foundation "room" and unselect roof temporarily until you have things ready.

12 minutes ago, j2narchitecture said:

@rgardner Thank you!  It worked!  I am out of practice with CA, but getting back into the groove.  

Glad it worked for you!  Have a great weekend.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    MarenM
    Newest Member
    MarenM

• By Designer100
      can anyone explain how and help me enclose between this new gable roof and ceiling. Also looking toward house thru gable closing in with Hardi-siding. The old roof is showing thru and something else when I do a rendering (see attached). Need to look good for a client in 3 D. They are adding a roof over existing 10' x 20' patio. 

thank you if you can help.

Newell Cheatheam
      CA 12
      newell@newellcheatheam.com 

Patio Remodeling.plan
    • By SNestor
      For some reason I cannot get an attic wall to generate above an invisible wall in the attached plan.  I did a test using an OOB Chief Template plan...and the attic walls work as advertised.  Therefore...it seems I've messed with a setting somewhere in my template plan.  

Can someone look at the attached test plan and see if you can discern what I've done...thanks in advance.

ATTIC WALL MISSING.plan  
    • By LeeDrafter
      Hi All,
      I am having trouble adjusting the height of attic walls. It seems to be a new problem in version X9. In previous versions, I was able to edit the walls in 3D using the handles and size and shape them manually. See the attached plan. I am working with the attic walls above the garage. I have drawn the belly bands, and I want the walls above the belly band to be board and batten. The ceiling height is set at the belly band height, so that doesn't seem to be what the 3D wall is based on. Thanks for your help!
      LOT 7 PHEASANT HAVEN, BENNETT.zip

• By tchomes
      I opened a plan in X9 this morning that I completed in X8 back in January.  To my suprise, the attic walls for the dormers are sticking above the roof and the windows in that area are messed up.  I have noticed this happening before with older plans that we use to modify.  I decided to take some time this morning and look through the forums and try to determine what is going on between X8 & X9.  We have so many more issues with X9 and attic walls and auto dormers.  Something apparently changed...

See photos below of what is appearing when I open the file in X9.  I can open in X8 and it appears correct.

I assume some simple setting that I need to fix when opening these older plans.  I appreciate the help so I can quit scratching my head and placing blame somewhere else

• By SNestor
      I have a general question regarding roof trusses and attic walls.  

If I choose to raise the roof plane then an attic wall is created.  Automatically this wall is a copy of the wall below it...so, typically it will have drywall on it...which is not needed in the attic.  So...I create a new "attic wall" type...without the drywall.  However, if I will be using roof trusses with an "energy heel"...what happens to this "attic wall"?  

As you can see from the framing perspective view...the attic wall does not show....except at the gable ends.  (I have attic walls turned on).  Does the use of "roof trusses" override the attic wall?  I'm wondering if the materials for the attic wall are still being calculated.  Also...the attic wall does appear in the cross section view.  

Needless to say...it's a bit confusing.