ComputerMaster86

Required # of Parking Spaces

I know this is a silly question but, is the required number of parking spaces generally spelled out in local zoning ordinances on a jurisdiction by jurisdiction basis?  I have heard it's usually calculated and based on occupant load but, I am wondering if the required number spaces varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction?

1 hour ago, ComputerMaster86 said:

I know this is a silly question but, is the required number of parking spaces generally spelled out in local zoning ordinances on a jurisdiction by jurisdiction basis?  I have heard it's usually calculated and based on occupant load but, I am wondering if the required number spaces varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction?

Can vary drastically even inside a single jurisdiction.  High density downtown districts can be totally different from rural or suburban areas, bowling alleys have different requirements than motels do, sometimes it’s based on rooms, sometimes it’s based on occupants, sometimes it’s based on units, sometimes it’s based on square footage, sometimes it’s a combination of multiple factors, etc etc.  

I guess what I am wondering is if a jurisdiction's zoning ordinance is going to be the best source of info as to how the jurisdiction determines the required number of parking spaces?

Around here it’s just part of the Municipal Code and handled through the Planning Department.  

In every municipality I've worked in, Zoning Ordinances dictate the minimum required number of parking spots.