Can't explode block in CAD detail

kwhitt

I am making a demo plan of an existing bathroom.  I have drawn the as-built conditions and sent the plan to a CAD detail from view.  I need all of my lines to be dashed and in a light gray color.  I am unable to explode some of the blocks because scaling is different in X and Y.  What is the best method to get around this?  I have tried creating a new library symbol with the scaled symbol.  I am unable to explode those too.  I don't understand why it's not possible to explode a scaled symbol in CA.  Maybe I am going about this entirely the wrong way and could use some tips.  Thanks, Kevin

Untitled 1.jpg

The shower block is problematic as I had to scale it on only one axis.  The bathtub is also an issue as it was not scaled proportionately.  The issue occurs in the CAD detail after sending from plan view.

If you're insistent on using the CAD Detail From View method to generate your As-Built mask, then your best bet is to start with a layer set that already has everything displayed like you want it with regard to line styles and colors (BEFORE the CAD Detail From View).  Don't wait to change till after the fact.

If you want to make the blocks explodable, you need to create completely new symbols out of the distorted objects using Convert Selected To Symbol and use those instead. The newly generated symbol will use a newly generated CAD Block instead of simply stretching the existing CAD block which is what happens under normal circumstances.

What you really need to do though is try to abandon using CAD Detail From View for those As-Built Masks.  Use a live plan.  Create an As-Built version of your plan, save it, then Save As a Proposed version, turn on your Reference Display in the Proposed version, and have it reference the As-Built version using a layer set with light gray dashed lines. 

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

If you're insistent on using the CAD Detail From View method to generate your As-Built mask, then your best bet is to start with a layer set that already has everything displayed like you want it with regard to line styles and colors.  Don't wait to change till after the fact.

If you want to make the blocks explodable, you need to create completely new symbols out of the distorted objects using Convert Selected To Symbol and use those instead. The newly generated symbol will use a newly generated CAD Block instead of simply stretching the existing CAD block which is what happens under normal circumstances.

What you really need to do though as try to abandon using CAD Detail From View for those As-Built Masks.  Use a live plan.  Create an As-Built version of your plan, save it, then Save As a Proposed version, turn on your Reference Display in the Proposed version, and have it reference the As-Built version using a layer set with light gray dashed lines. 

Thanks Michael.  I've spent the last few hours figuring about what you state above.  That said, when I use the AS-Built file as a reference under my remodeled file, the fills are exploded.  Attached is the as-built file shown in the plan view (just what I want) and then used as a reference in the remodeled file (problems).  

as_built ref.jpg

proposed.jpg

20 minutes ago, solver said:

Probably time for Chief to update their recommendations. They reference using CAD instead of the newer Reference Display method.

ct1.thumb.png.2a31ff16d83ac407f316cd5612619d57.png

Correct.  And their training video for as-builts shows precisely what I was doing:  https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/362/showing-an-as-built-mask-on-a-remodel-plan.html?playlist=100

What they don't cover is the mess you end up with using blocks.

36 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Rescale the CAD block to 1 and 1, then you can explode it.

Wouldn't this require me to scale it again once exploded?  Some of these symbols are fairly complex - would be a pain...

Take a look at these videos introducing Plan Views , Once you understand how they can be employed to suit your purposes, I think you might just abandon trying to do what you have been trying to do.

A CAD Block that has been altered any way but concentrically cannot be, thereafter Unblocked (that is the way CAD Blocks are programmed to work in Chief Premier). If you are creating a  View to CAD from a Chief Premier plan file (which is natively at a real world scale of 1' = 1') you shouldn't then be required to re-scale them after export (this I completely do not understand considering the above).

Saved Plan Views makes this whole procedure much easier and less probable to fail, take a look please.

DJP

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DavidJPotter said:

Take a look at these videos introducing Plan Views , Once you understand how they can be employed to suit your purposes, I think you might just abandon trying to do what you have been trying to do.

A CAD Block that has been altered any way but concentrically cannot be, thereafter Unblocked (that is the way CAD Blocks are programmed to work in Chief Premier). If you are creating a  View to CAD from a Chief Premier plan file (which is natively at a real world scale of 1' = 1') you shouldn't then be required to re-scale them after export (this I completely do not understand considering the above).

Saved Plan Views makes this whole procedure much easier and less probable to fail, take a look please.

DJP

Thanks David.  Yes, I've concluded this could save me a lot of time. I appreciate the input.  Kevin

2 hours ago, kwhitt said:

Thanks Michael.  I've spent the last few hours figuring about what you state above.  That said, when I use the AS-Built file as a reference under my remodeled file, the fills are exploded.  Attached is the as-built file shown in the plan view (just what I want) and then used as a reference in the remodeled file (problems).  

as_built ref.jpg

proposed.jpg

It looks like you're still trying to reference CAD work.  Just reference the live plan view.  No CAD at all. 

• Like 1