Wall connection mess

robdyck

Take a look at this insane mess of a wall connection! Curses what a waste of time dealing with this crap! It's an ICF grade beam connecting to an existing concrete basement wall. I want the concrete layers to align at the exterior...no overlap of materials as the new foundation will simply butt up against the old foundation...but Chief has other plans apparently.

Plan View:image.thumb.png.17c33d520348a07e1af7bbd2777cd7bd.png

3D (all other views):image.thumb.png.3aca458308723a128279d158946d67d0.pngimage.thumb.png.57ec33716205080cf84cbd456868715d.png

I can change things by messing around with the wall connection tool...I just can't change things to be correct. How can something so simple be made so hard??

I'm inlcuding the ICF wall type if anyone wants to attempt a connection fix that works for all views!

ICF 8.calibz

Robert... no time to futz with this this-morning, but tempting.  Still I had a quick look at the wall def. and I have to wonder if it might help if you put the outer layer of foam on the Exterior layer instead of Main layer?

43 minutes ago, robdyck said:

I can change things

I can already tell that your two pieces of bread are in the main layer with the tuna salad in the middle. Breads always gonna get soggy that way. Maybe you can separate them to the surface?

1 minute ago, DzinEye said:

Also, maybe put the inner layer of foam on the Interior layer... 

Just now, Renerabbitt said:

I can already tell that your two pieces of bread are in the main layer with the tuna salad in the middle. Breads always gonna get soggy that way. Maybe you can separate them to the surface?

Ha! Good one! I'll probably try that next. 

The reason they're part of the main layer...my foundation plan shows 'main layer only' so in plan view, I don't want to see stucco parging or drywall but I do want to see the ICF...and it's logical. ICF is unquestionably the "main layer' right? But I gotta play with the hand I'm dealt...I can turn my drywall line invisible so it doesn't show.

8 minutes ago, robdyck said:

The reason they're part of the main layer...my foundation plan shows 'main layer only' so in plan view, I don't want to see stucco parging or drywall but I do want to see the ICF...and it's logical. ICF is unquestionably the "main layer' right? But I gotta play with the hand I'm dealt...I can turn my drywall line invisible so it doesn't show.

Okay... so another way I could see it possibly working while leaving the foam in the main layer, would be for you to create a new wall definition for the rest of the 'normal' foundation which has X" of insulation air gap on both sides of the concrete to match the foam on the ICF wall.

20 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

lettuce see what happens...these are auto connections after the  foam has been moved out of the main layer.

image.thumb.png.73d7ac798170e83fa112b62ed5bbcddf.pngimage.thumb.png.0a2f226b89b8608387d6a593121adc5c.png

18 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Ha! Good one! I'll probably try that next. 

For that layerset, designate the exterior and interior layers to follow line style of the layer. Turn the line style for walls to invisible for that layerset. Then override the middle layers to solid line. That way you can uncheck main layer only and still only see the main layers. Overlooking any fill styles.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Renerabbitt said:

Elevations don't align, is that by intent?

Yup. The top of sub-floor will align. Existing subfloor is 5/8" plwood & 2x10's....The new subfloor will be 3/4" OSB & 2x10's

The existing concrete foundation is showing to the underside of existing floor joists whereas the new ICF foundation for the addition is 1. 5/8" lower for a bolted on sill plate plus the thicker floor sheathing.

image.thumb.png.9b28aed43d63be39831d2aa01f30bf79.png