Premier v interior in kitchen/bath field

tubbsinc

I like a lot of what I have seen in CA while I'm still running in trial mode.  The question is if I jump all in to CA do I need premier for my industry or will interiors version be adequate?

I am in kitchen-bath sales and manufacture, all interior work.  I am coming from a long stint with 2020 that is just frustrating at almost every turn.   The other 2020 users call it a necessary evil.  I have many other terms for it.

I don't question that the drawings and renders in CA will be better with experience. 

Are the extra Premier features with respect to creating material lists, drawings-elevations, match-apply properties, etc. essential for valuable for the drawings I need to generate?

55 minutes ago, tubbsinc said:

with respect to creating material lists, drawings-elevations, match-apply properties, etc.

The things you list will all be the same for both.

The difference between the two versions is less than it once was. The two biggest things missing from interiors that I see are

ALDO- the active layer display. There is another way to deal with that, just not nearly as efficient.(caused the only client I had on Interiors to upgrade)

CAD detail from view. Most useful if you need to send drawings of custom cabinets but has other less obvious uses for productivity.

I started with Interiors back when the difference was greater.

When I first realized it was a mistake for me I'd already used the difference elsewhere since. Took a while to budget the upgrade. I've never regretted upgrading.

Support costs the same for both.

Are you saying that these features in Premier that are worth the jump in price?

I imagine limiting CAD detail could slow some processes.

In the big picture it's not a huge cost difference but that's $ I can use elsewhere.

I'm saying there are two features that matter. Yes I think they are worth the difference but you need to decide, it's your $$.

Is your trial version Premier? or Interiors?

IF it is Premier look at the ALDO, then turn it off and work without it.

CAD detail from view- While we no longer need it to do as builts go and search the forum for some of what Alaskan_Son says about using detail from view and see if it is something you need. In the PDF files I showed you all of the detail cabinet drawings that needed to be sent to the MFR were done using it. Sure you can work around it.

The rest you won't miss all that much.

With the current sale Premier costs what Interiors usually does. Upgrade later and you are likely tacking the upgrade cost on top of SSA.

1 hour ago, tubbsinc said:

Are you saying that these features in Premier that are worth the jump in price?

Just checked the comparison chart-two other things-Ruby scripting is limited. I don't know what that means but I would not be happy.

Also you can't use reference display of other plan files. I'd mentioned that we no longer need a CAD mask to show existing structure on demo plans earlier but the method to do that is referencing another plan. That only matter if you are ever moving walls or doing additions.

It just depends on what you do, how you work and where you want to go.

I think in X12 the ALDO is a new Feature for Interiors. ( confirm with a User or Sales - I wouldn't want to be without it),

but I'd have thought not having CAD Details would be limiting.

The is also no Terrain Tools or Plants, no  auto framing or Framing Tools , no Wall Material Regions etc etc but that may

not matter if it is strictly Cabinets you are do and not Renos or Remodels. Many things have alternatives but , as a Premier User

I'd find it limiting or slower. 

X12-Premier-Interiors Comparison-Matrix.pdf

M.

A few biggies IMO that will really hamper your abilities (even just on interior design), and I'm speaking from experience as both a designer and as a trainer, consultant, and coach...

• Active Layer Display Options
  • CAD Detail From View
  • TAB input method
  • Custom Dimension Text
  • Match Properties
  • Ruby Limitations

The average user could probably do without the last one, but the other 5 alone are worth the upgrade IMO.  And that says nothing of the other tools that your bound to end up wanting for the little side jobs, unexpected requests, and other opportunities that are almost certain to come up. 

I see Mick noted this and I got a message from a friend at Chief that the ALDO was added to Interiors Version in X12.

OTOH didn't realize that wall material regions are NOT included, surprising. Win one lose one ;->

I understand what Michael suggests, and personally think everyone should bite the bullet and get Premier....BUT from what I know after 20yrs dealing with KDs  I'm not sure that whole list applies to most.

BOTTOM LINE-

• Majority of KDs- Typical project is a single room, mid range cabinets or lower (the conglomerates?), occasional custom cabinet, sell 2 or more kitchens a month on average? zero interest in being a power user (what's that ?:unsure: -Interiors will suit your needs just fine. You get great  stability, renderings, ease of use, and final drawings. The first project I did in Chief Interiors involved an entire house so you can still move upward (combined with some other software for that). You can always upgrade; just remember that is a bit painful$ when you do.
  • The other 20%?- multiple rooms per project, collaborate on new construction, design full remodels, upper middle to full custom cabinets, fewer projects, higher dollars, maybe want to be a power user? Premier (and stay on SSA !) used to it's fullest you can to attract more. (IMO if in this group and not using Chief well....)

I appreciate the input.  Reading through the specs doesn't always tell the whole story for me so I like to get more opinion from real users.

The forums are good for that, this one is no exception.

The trial I have is interiors and the ALDO is in it.  I agree it would be an essential for me.

12 hours ago, MarkMc said:

With the current sale Premier costs what Interiors usually does. Upgrade later and you are likely tacking the upgrade cost on top of SSA.

Good point.  What's the saying, something about trees and a forest?

12 hours ago, MarkMc said:

I'm saying there are two features that matter. Yes I think they are worth the difference...

9 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

I think in X12 the ALDO is a new Feature for Interiors. ( confirm with a User or Sales - I wouldn't want to be without it),

but I'd have thought not having CAD Details would be limiting. 

Just reading specs doesn't tell me this.  Thanks.

7 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

The average user could probably do without the last one, but the other 5 alone are worth the upgrade IMO.

The goal is to make my life easier and a wall of limitations is not in my favor.

Just sharing an experience while looking for the best product for me- -  Chief Arch customer service has been great!

I'm not going to bash a competitor's product but I had a vision of using other software.  While it has become better than it was I got soured by the experience.

1) pricing and price structure was crazy.  the cheaper version is so stripped they push you up to the major cash versions - $5K, $7K.  Plus training.  Plus maintenance.

2) after a short teamviewer presentation in the morning I felt like I was at a car lot. 

"I have this price, lower than we talked about before if you buy the more expensive tier and buy it now."

" And oh, it's the 31st so this is the last day for this "deal".  You might want to jump on this before the end of the day."

And you KNOW that follow up mail came at 4:30 pm and what it said.

Honestly, coming from 2020 I can only equate it to leaving one jail and getting transferred to another.  Only to pay more for the abuse.

Am I the only one looking at this and saying who does business like this anymore?

After poring through the options I decided that Chief Architect Premier is going to be the best fit for me.  It does a lot more than I need in some areas and maybe isn't as geared on the production side (right now) but I'm confident it's a better solution than what I'm coming from.   Looking forward to diving in and getting my workflow more efficient. 

Thanks  Mark, Mike and everyone else for the pointers.

• Upvote 1