Turn Off Light Emissivity

gpenelton

I am trying to create my first custom light fixture.  I have saved the fixture as a new electrical symbol, and have given it a light source value of 1200 lumens.  I have also assigned the light bulb portion of the fixture a "Lighting White" material, which gives it emissivity.

My question is, how do I get CA to turn off the emissivity when the light is turned off, similar to the stock CA pot fixtures shown in the attached screenshots?  Or is there a different way of creating the fixture?

Thanks in advance

Screenshot2.jpg

Screenshot.jpg

There are two materials for "Lighting White" which can be used in light fixtures that you need to be turned on all the time or fixtures that are used in non defined rooms that need to be on in daylight conditions.  Then there is   "Default Glass (Lights): Lighting White"  found in  Material Defaults that will respond to the light being turned on or off as well as the Sunlight being toggled off.

Thanks Chopsaw!  I still cannot get it to work however.  I have assigned the Lighting White material to the bulb, but it still remains emissive when the light is turned off.  What am I doing wrong?

Edited by gpenelton
Added information

25 minutes ago, gpenelton said:

I'm afraid you lost me Graham. Are you saying that I can't have my light fixture react the same way as the stock CA fixtures?

He's saying emissivity isn't the way to control the lighting.

24 minutes ago, gpenelton said:

I'm afraid you lost me Graham. Are you saying that I can't have my light fixture react the same way as the stock CA fixtures?

No, just that a materials emissive property is independent of the light, it does not turn on or off when you turn he light on or off. There are times when it may appear as such but that is because the light fixtures actual light source is reacting with the materials emissive setting.

2 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

No, just that a materials emissive property is independent of the light, it does not turn on or off when you turn he light on or off. There are times when it may appear as such but that is because the light fixtures actual light source is reacting with the materials emissive setting.

Not so sure that is entirely true Graham, the Default Lighting White does behave differently than the Lighting White.

1 minute ago, Chopsaw said:

Not so sure that is entirely true Graham, the Default Lighting White does behave differently than the Lighting White.

Agree, there are a number of factors that will effect a materials emissive appearance/behavior. Color, transparency, texture and if the material itself is being additionally lit by another light source.

48 minutes ago, gpenelton said:

Here you go Robert...

Light Test.plan

I've made some adjustments for your comparison.

1. adjust vertical offset

2. adjust light bulb material

3. adjusted vertical sizing

4. adjusted lighting of point light

5. added a 2nd light source, spot light.

Pendant Eglo Loncino.calibz

I forgot to turn of the emissivity of the light bulb material...oops.

image.thumb.png.9f27bb68ba850094f9178d77a35760f1.png

1 hour ago, robdyck said:

I've made some adjustments for your comparison.

1. adjust vertical offset

2. adjust light bulb material

3. adjusted vertical sizing

4. adjusted lighting of point light

5. added a 2nd light source, spot light.

Pendant Eglo Loncino.calibz

I forgot to turn of the emissivity of the light bulb material...oops.

image.thumb.png.9f27bb68ba850094f9178d77a35760f1.png

Thanks Robert - I will have to play around some more.  Chopsaw actually solved the problem for me - see above.

Is it just me, or are there a lot of Canadians on this forum?  I'm from Winnipeg myself....

• 2 years later...

You don't need expensive or hard-to-find materials to make a good light fixture. Previous technology focused on incandescent bulbs, which are very hot and consume a lot of currents. Current homebuilders have economical LED lamps that produce little heat, which allows for a simplified design. To make a lamp in quality, not inferior to industrial samples, you will need scraps of metal tubes, steel wire with a diameter of 1.5-2.5 mm, galvanized steel sheet thickness of 0.4-1 mm, and inexpensive plastic products. You can buy a light bulb here https://www.amazon.com/smart-light-bulbs-wifi-bluetooth/dp/B09K38ZXYG. You have a lot of options.

• Downvote 1