Cutting Holes In A Curved Terrain Wall

B4UBLD

Hi,

Here in the southwest, the need to cut niches and holes in various curved walls and shapes (e.g., Kiva fireplaces) comes up fairly often.  Recently, I was very proud to have cut niches into a conically shaped Kiva fireplace (yayy for small victories!).  Today, however, when I attempted to cut some holes into a curved terrain wall, I failed.  Maybe I'm just tired.  I converted the terrain wall to a polyline solid.  Next I went into elevation view to create the shape of the hole I wanted with a CAD square.  Then I converted the square shape to a polyline solid, then to a hole in polyline solid.  Kept getting a warning "No polyline of the same type found to contain the hole.  For example, no counter top or slab to contain the counter top or slab hole."  Guess I don't know my *&^ from a hole in the wall.  :-)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Thank you, Michael.  I believe you are saying that turning a legitimate terrain wall to a polyline then to a polyline solid won't work.  I will therefore start with the a poly solid "wall" instead.  However not sure what you are saying about using the elevation tools to "control the terrain in the area of question."  What I'll do is create the poly solid "wall," then use CAD tools to create the holes where I want them.  Back soon with results.  Thanks very much for your help.

Thank you, Michael.  I believe you are saying that turning a legitimate terrain wall to a polyline then to a polyline solid won't work.  I will therefore start with the a poly solid "wall" instead.  However not sure what you are saying about using the elevation tools to "control the terrain in the area of question."  What I'll do is create the poly solid "wall," then use CAD tools to create the holes where I want them.  Back soon with results.  Thanks very much for your help.

I do not think you know what you are doing.  First off,  I do not think you can turn a WALL into a PSOLID,  next,  if you are drawing the PSOLID in plan,  and then taking a back clip cross section of said PSOLID and the creating a PSOLID,  that will not work either. 

My suggestion would be to create a wall and then put either DOORS or PASS THRUS into said wall.

I do not think you know what you are doing.  First off,  I do not think you can turn a WALL into a PSOLID,  next,  if you are drawing the PSOLID in plan,  and then taking a back clip cross section of said PSOLID and the creating a PSOLID,  that will not work either. 

My suggestion would be to create a wall and then put either DOORS or PASS THRUS into said wall.

If I knew what I was doing, I would not be asking how to do it.  :-) 

Actually, I have turned a TERRAIN WALL into a PSOLID.  Works fine.  Trouble is that I can not get a darn hole into it.  I have now also used Michael's idea of drawing the PSOLID in plan view.  Can't get holes in that either. 

I will now try putting DOORS or PASS THRUS into said wall, but as far as I know I don't think you can do this with terrain walls.

But thanks for the suggestion; I'll give it a try.  Perhaps I can use another kind of wall.

.......Actually, I have turned a TERRAIN WALL into a PSOLID. ........

I do not believe it,  I think you may be using incorrect nomenclature......  I do not mean to rag on you,  I am simply trying to be very clear.

And then it may be I who is using the incorrect nomenclature.  I just tried put a window/door into a WALL DEFINED AS A TERRAIN RETAINING WALL.... it works.....

maybe I do not know what a TERRAIN WALL IS....  or should I say I do not understand how you created your TERRAIN WALL.

Nomenclature is so important when discussing CA.....  I am sure you will figure it out.

OK, I'll try to be very clear and very precise with my nomenclature; agree it is key to proper communication re CA.  Here are the steps I used to change a TERRAIN WALL into a PSOLID.

1)  Created and approximately 15' length of TERRAIN WALL using the "Spline Terrain Wall" tool.  It is 6" wide and 60" high by default.

2)  Converted the TERRAIN WALL to a PLAIN POLYLINE.

3)  Converted the PLAIN POLYLINE to a POLYLINE SOLID (aka "PSOLID") with an "Elevation at Top" of 60" and a "Thickness" of 60".

I'd like to attach an image, but don't know how. 

But again, can't get the holes into the wall.

Now, as for your creating a TERRAIN RETAINING WALL (vs. a TERRAIN WALL) and putting a window/door into it--can you please elaborate?  Perhaps it is the use of the TERRAIN RETAINING WALL (vs. a TERRAIN WALL) that is allowing this, but I sure can't put a window/door into a TERRAIN WALL.

Thanks for spending your time with me on this...

Just do what you want to do with a wall.  Build a wall.   Put a door opening or a window in it.  You are done.  Terrain retaining wall is a different animal.  You can take the wall you just built and make it a terrain retaining wall if you want via dvx.........  I have done many vids on walls at CHIEFTUTOR.COM.  

The terrain wall you are using has many limitations,  it has it's uses but not for what you want to do.....  you are just beginning to learn,  it will take some study time to understand the different options that are available to you to accomplish what you want to do.

I concur Glenn. Thanks for the feedback; sometimes the CA nomenclature is misleading... I used a solid railing instead and achieved what I was after.

Jeez, can you put a window in a railing? A door yes but not a window...... Nuts, something else I must check on.