Sign in to follow this  
JasonParsons

Intel or AMD for x12

Recommended Posts

My cpu died yesterday.  I always remember Intel being the goto processor for chief.  Is that still the case or are more people going to AMD?  Is 'the more cores the better" still the way to go for raytracing?

 

I do not use any other rendering software for chief.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 second search finds this on chiefs own website.  https://www.chiefarchitect.com/products/sysreq.html

 

As you probably know CPU is important for ray tracing but GPU is arguably more important in almost all other aspects of Chief and of course proper memory so it doesn’t get bottlenecked and limited is essential.  Good luck in your new search.

 

btw here is a suggestion:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/appleinsider.com/articles/19/12/13/no-apples-new-mac-pro-isnt-overpriced/amp/

 

:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For Raytracing the more cores the better, it will use as many cores as you can throw at it. Currently the AMD 3900X series processors provide the best core per dollar and this new series also offer very competitive single threaded performance. Anyone currently upgrading should definitely take a very serious look at these AMD products.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, rgardner said:

5 second search finds this on chiefs own website.  https://www.chiefarchitect.com/products/sysreq.html

 

As you probably know CPU is important for ray tracing but GPU is arguably more important in almost all other aspects of Chief and of course proper memory so it doesn’t get bottlenecked and limited is essential.  Good luck in your new search.

 

btw here is a suggestion:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/appleinsider.com/articles/19/12/13/no-apples-new-mac-pro-isnt-overpriced/amp/

 

:D

 

for some time, the consensus was that intel was a better option even if amd offered more cores.  I was wondering if that was still the case.  the requirements page does not specify one or the other (I had already looked at the link, thanks)

 

also, Not an Apple Guy.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

For Raytracing the more cores the better, it will use as many cores as you can throw at it. Currently the AMD 3900X series processors provide the best core per dollar and this new series also offer very competitive single threaded performance. Anyone currently upgrading should definitely take a very serious look at these AMD products.

I was wondering if AMD and their additional cores were the way to go or not.  thanks!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JasonParsons said:

 

for some time, the consensus was that intel was a better option even if amd offered more cores.  I was wondering if that was still the case.  the requirements page does not specify one or the other (I had already looked at the link, thanks)

 

also, Not an Apple Guy.

 

 

That used to be the case but AMD has made very significant improvements in their CPUs. The only slight advantage that Intel has is in single threaded performance but AMD has really closed the gap on this and for most users the minor difference would never be noticed. When it comes to cores AMD rules, especially for any given price point, with AMD you will likely get 20%-30% more cores than Intel's similar offering, that's a difference you will definitely notice and appreciate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, JasonParsons said:

also, Not an Apple Guy.

 

It’s okay we all have our issues... :P

 

Good luck in your search!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I moved from intel to the AMD in my signature for my latest PC. I have had it a year now. I have compared it to several others in some of Graham's tests we did some time back. Search the forum and you should be able to find that thread; lots of good info and results in it. I think it was something like, "Let's PBR" or something like that; Graham@TheKitchenAbode will remember. Also, like Graham said above, I have not noticed any real difference in performance on the AMD vs. intel in the day-to-day grind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Member Statistics

    28437
    Total Members
    9156
    Most Online
    Deannap
    Newest Member
    Deannap
    Joined