pole barn residence wall type

winterdd

how would you guys handle the wall type for a pole barn type construction that will be heated and cooled and livable in one section? if a pole barn, for instance, has 6x6 posts, i would obviously want to make my walls 6" thick to match the depth. they would be built with 2x6 studs BUT how would you incorporate the posts into the wall as well? surely you would not have to make the walls individual pieces that stop in way of the posts. i have attached some views of a sketch from the client. i have the building finished in chief but the structure is not going to be right for the walls of the living area as it have it now. attachments may be a better explanation. thanks for the input.

Barn Layout1.pdf

Barn Layout1-1.pdf

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

6 hours ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

That will allow it to become a space since the walls wont be continuous?

When doing these "barndominiums," I usually just draw the 2x6 stud wall continuous and use slabs or polyline solids for the posts. That way you maintain your room definition and defaults. I also find this method makes it much easier to position the posts so they don't move around on their own, especially the post height.

edit: My comment above was really for the "real world" rather than the model.

12 minutes ago, Ridge_Runner said:

When doing these "barndominiums," I usually just draw the 2x6 stud wall continuous and use slabs or polyline solids for the posts. That way you maintain your room definition and defaults. I also find this method makes it much easier to position the posts so they don't move around on their own, especially the post height.

edit: My comment above was really for the "real world" rather than the model.

My thoughts exactly. The posts COULD be exposed in the walls for that certain look but i really dont think it matters. They can be shown in the framing details. I tried using a railing command and got it to look good but i made issues for me. Polylines are another good suggestion along with regular wall command which is what is shown in my attachment.

16 hours ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

they would be built with 2x6 studs BUT how would you incorporate the posts into the wall as well

I'm sure you're aware Rob, but conventional pole barn construction would utilize strapping on both side of the posts (if the interior will be finished). Of course, you can infill frame between posts with stud walls, that would just be a slightly more expensive option. As far as modeling the structure...use "posts". And it's easy enough to change the main structural layer of your wall type to or from an actual framing material depending on if you decide to infill frame, or strap the structure.

thanks joey and rob. off subject, if you see the pdf i attached, how do you get that garage door design? i'm assuming it's not the door that is chamfered but the wall that is. in that case, is it just a simple process of breaking the lines in the wall elevation and forming a chamfer?

1 hour ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

how do you get that garage door design?

Dogear arch (for a regular garage door). Don't think you can get Chief to do the wide space above the door between it and the arch like the PDF. Will probably require a regular garage door, sans trim, and take some creative work with psolids, 3D molding lines, etc.

std dogear

936386339_dogeararch.thumb.PNG.a69b4ba10f7f45431da5851d2517c488.PNG

8 hours ago, Ridge_Runner said:

Dogear arch (for a regular garage door). Don't think you can get Chief to do the wide space above the door between it and the arch like the PDF. Will probably require a regular garage door, sans trim, and take some creative work with psolids, 3D molding lines, etc.

std dogear

936386339_dogeararch.thumb.PNG.a69b4ba10f7f45431da5851d2517c488.PNG

Wow, that was quite simple. I have never noticed that option.