capitaldesigns

Conc. fill pattern not showing up on fnd. plan

Recommended Posts

I'm trying to get a conc. fill pattern in my new footings to show up on the foundation plan without success.

 

I've added a screen shot of the foundation plan, wall type definitions, footing specification and layer fill style.

I thought it added the fill correctly, but apparently I did not.

 

Can someone let me know why the fill pattern is not showing up in the foundation plan.

 

Thank you,

 

Mike

foundation.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does the default 6" concrete wall work for you?

 

If so, make a copy and adjust the width.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I already have it called out as a 12" wide concrete stem wall. Is there some other setting in the program that is not letting the conc. fill pattern show on the foundation plan ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, capitaldesigns said:

I already have it called out as a 12" wide concrete stem wall.

 

Did you copy one of the other walls? When you draw one of them in plan, do they show the fill?

 

Is this a new problem?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was an automatic foundation using the build foundation tool.

This is not a new problem. The only area that I can get the fill pattern

to show up in the foundation plan is the garage stem wall.

 

I also tried the straight foundation wall and the slab footing under the

wall pull down menu. Still no fill pattern.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just noticed that if I cut the footing in the middle of the wall and pull the footing apart

by a foot or so the fill pattern shows up. When I connect the footings together again the fill

pattern again disappears. Any ideas why this is happening ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes.  It’s because you’re working with a monolithic slab and are using the Slab Footing tool.  That’s how it works.  Away from my computer now, but it feels like there’s a way to force what you want.  I don’t recall for sure, but when the walls close up to form the slab, did they change to invisible walls? If so, try changing them back to visible and see what that does.  Either that or maybe play with the settings on the foundation tab.  I think for example that changing from a Monolithic Slab will also fix your problem but you’ll lose the angled footing edge.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I pulled apart the footings both the line for the outside slab and the inside footing lines both turned to solid lines.

When I joined them together the inside footing line changed into a dashed line and the outside slab line remained solid

as it should be.

 

The walls did not change to invisible walls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/28/2019 at 8:32 PM, capitaldesigns said:

When I pulled apart the footings both the line for the outside slab and the inside footing lines both turned to solid lines. 

When I joined them together the inside footing line changed into a dashed line and the outside slab line remained solid

as it should be.

 

The walls did not change to invisible walls.

 

I just stopped back into the office for a moment and it looks like there's essentially only 2 ways to force those walls to display as solid if you're using them to define a monolithic slab and they both come at a cost...

 

1.  Uncheck Foundation Wall.  This would require that none of the walls defining your mono slab area  be set to a Foundation Wall though, and they would all get their footing definition from the Default Slab Footing Wall definition.

 

2.  You change the room definition to remove the Monolithic Slab designation.  You would lose your beveled footing shape though. and would have to join your auto fills in section views to get one solid slab/footing (you could add the beveled shape when you do this though.)

 

There may be other ways and there may be other downsides to those 2 methods, but I think that's about it.

 

P.S.  You could also just add the fills with CAD. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Open the foundation "room" and go to the 

1 hour ago, capitaldesigns said:

When I pulled apart the footings both the line for the outside slab and the inside footing lines both turned to solid lines.

When I joined them together the inside footing line changed into a dashed line and the outside slab line remained solid

as it should be.

This is caused by the way Chief has chosen to implement mono slabs.

There is a foundation room that is enclosed by walls that really don't have any height, but they define where the footing (thickened slab edge) goes.

When you break the walls, you break the room definition.

It is no longer a mono slab and so the walls show as normal walls not mono slab footing walls.

I think that because there is really no wall displaying in plan, there is nothing to hatch.

 

Try this to solve your hatch problem.

Open the dbx for the foundation room.

On the Structure panel, go to the Relative Heights section and change the Floor To SWT to 1mm (or the smallest that will take).

This will show the hatch for the foundation wall, but it will also probably cause some other problems like drop your floor by 1mm, increase your ceiling heights by 1mm.......

It cannot be seen in cross section.

 

In my opinion, forget the hatching, or use cad.

New Image_2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried raising and lowering the SWT by " and I still do net get the hatch pattern to show up.

 

Most of my residential projects are remodel and additions. The building departments require

us to show a hatch pattern on the new footings. It looks like I will need add the hatch patterns

manually.

 

Thank you for the help.

 

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used the Make Room Polyline tool and the Send to Back command here. Quick even for a more complex shape.

 

ct1.thumb.png.877fd57f05135dc3c6cb12c7a0515243.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, capitaldesigns said:

I tried raising and lowering the SWT by " and I still do net get the hatch pattern to show up.

 

Most of my residential projects are remodel and additions. The building departments require

us to show a hatch pattern on the new footings. It looks like I will need add the hatch patterns

manually.

 

Thank you for the help.

 

Mike

 

 

You can model the monoslab yourself , the same way chief does it automatically actually, using a 12 " Concrete Stem Wall with the hang 1st Floor inside foundation setting and the main floor set to a 4" slab. This is what I sometimes have to do as CA doesn't like to join a monoslab and stemwall foundation much eg for a monoslab garage connected to a Stemwall foundation house. The height and width settings below you will need to change for local needs and construction techniques but this should give you the idea.

 

In cross Section you need to edit the Conc. Auto Detail Polylines ( or delete unneeded ones)  to get the Chamfer but all else seems to remain the same or you can use a Room molding polyline to add the chamfer instead .....see last pic , used CA -35 for a down and dirty Chamfer , which I left  "bone" so you can see it easier in 3D.....

 

image.thumb.png.0a71420f385cd4d877f60e04b2a094d4.pngimage.thumb.png.2ff0124afa78041e75975c89a836e378.png   image.thumb.png.aa6d163349b24edf2e3d35d43aa33154.pngimage.thumb.png.2f1cf6fe83c75e1274f12b9a412af05c.png

image.thumb.png.e5da7e89b49e3ff35e437e7f0470b575.png image.thumb.png.c0b39a1a91c0d776df8846149dd25f29.png

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

 

I just stopped back into the office for a moment and it looks like there's essentially only 2 ways to force those walls to display as solid if you're using them to define a monolithic slab and they both come at a cost...

 

1.  Uncheck Foundation Wall.  This would require that none of the walls defining your mono slab area  be set to a Foundation Wall though, and they would all get their footing definition from the Default Slab Footing Wall definition.

 

2.  You change the room definition to remove the Monolithic Slab designation.  You would lose your beveled footing shape though. and would have to join your auto fills in section views to get one solid slab/footing (you could add the beveled shape when you do this though.)

 

There may be other ways and there may be other downsides to those 2 methods, but I think that's about it.

 

P.S.  You could also just add the fills with CAD. 

 

Was just chillin' here and it occurred to me that in addition to these and Glenn's extra idea there's also one more option that doesn't actually seem to have any downsides to speak of. At least none that I can think of off the top...

 

Leave the desired walls as slab footings, leave the room as a Mono slab, but change the wall to a Pony Wall.  Set the upper wall to be a copy of the Lower wall, but change the material to a copy of the Concrete material with a non-concrete material definition.  Chief needs a concrete material to define the mono slab properly but it only hides walls that are defined as concrete...

 

331984672_WallFill.thumb.png.e9fd8984481220627148c5b25c42b7e2.png

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It to bad that CA does not make it easier to hatch footings. When CA draws the garage slab it hatches the stem wall, not the footings.

I would thing if CA can hatch the stem wall of the footings it would be able to hatch the footings as well.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, capitaldesigns said:

I would thing if CA can hatch the stem wall of the footings it would be able to hatch the footings as well.  

 

Have you sent this in as a suggestion?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, capitaldesigns said:

It to bad that CA does not make it easier to hatch footings. When CA draws the garage slab it hatches the stem wall, not the footings.

I would thing if CA can hatch the stem wall of the footings it would be able to hatch the footings as well.  


Honestly never had to do this before (thus the reason for the reason for the somewhat uncertain nature of some of my responses) and my memory may be failing me, but I don’t actually recall having seen it in anyone else’s plans before either.  I think Chief just set it up so that it works for the vast majority of users since typically a person wouldn’t want to see if fill.  I wouldn’t be opposed to something like a Show Wall Fill In This View toggle though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of my project are additions and remodels. The building departments want the new footings to be hatched

to distinguish them from the existing footings. We hatch new walls to distinguish them from the existing walls.

Same concept.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, capitaldesigns said:

Most of my project are additions and remodels. The building departments want the new footings to be hatched

to distinguish them from the existing footings. We hatch new walls to distinguish them from the existing walls.

Same concept.


Ya, I totally get it.  Just not too common in my experience.  There are other ways to show old vs. new too.  Did you try the pony wall method I mentioned to see if that might work for you? I’m kinda curious if it has any other downsides in an average practical application (assumes of course you don’t need to set the wall as a pony wall for other reasons but that would typically be pretty rare for a mono slab in my experience). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Member Statistics

    27379
    Total Members
    6254
    Most Online
    mateo61
    Newest Member
    mateo61
    Joined