General Notes System

Joe_Carrick

Go to solution Solved by Joe_Carrick,

What I love about this is that I can also have plan notes on each separate floor on the plan. I wish I could just number the schedule so 1st and second floor didn't have the same numbers to eliminate some confusion.   It would also be great to have plan notes on Foundation, Electrical, Framing, and all the other plans.

Perry,

Have you tried using separate Schedules for each Floor?  You would need to uncheck "Include Objects from All Floors" in the Schedule dbx.

Another option would be to use a 1,2,3,4,etc as a prefix along with the Separate Floor Schedules.  That would make the numbers different on each Floor.

You might be able to do different Plans (Framing. Electrical, Plumbing, etc) by using a Note that's on a Layer unique to each discipline, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

It would work fairly easily if the Schedule allowed inclusion of only specific Layers or Label Prefixes.  IOW, something like Doors where you can include only "Hinged", "Sliding", "Pocket", etc.  Unfortunately the Plant Schedule doesn't have any such inclusion/exclusion capabilities.

Perry,

I've been thinking about the "Framing, Electrical, etc" notes concept.  It's fairly simple from the standpoint of the notes displayed on any given Layer Set (just have the "Note" on a unique layer for that use) but the Plan Schedule itself can only be limited on a per floor basis.  The Fixture Schedule OTOH has more flexibility in that regard but is probably limited in terms of Layer being saved in the Library. 

If you use multiple Plant Schedules (per floor) but use a prefix such as A1-, A2-,A3-, etc for Architectural Notes, F1-, F2-,F3-, etc for Framing Notes, E1-, E2-,E3-, etc for Electrical Notes then you could send the same Schedule to the Sheets for the various dwgs and simply crop them as needed to limit whats displayed.  It would mean providing a Border and Header for each Layout Box, but at least the notes would be arranged the way you want them.

Can you follow this - it's a bit complicated to explain.  Naturally, the various notes would need to be on the appropriate unique Layers so they would only be displayed in the Layerset that matches.

The Ultimate Solution would be to have Callouts with Schedules that can be filtered by Layer or?????

This is a nice to fair hack but I actually use plants in my drawings. I would need to remove all plants from my construction documents to get the schedule to work with only the notes items. Or, is there another way to filter out the plants from the schedule other than by floor?

Put your plant on a separate layer, turn it off, but leave plant labels on. You can also adjust the transparency to 100% in the plant DBX. and it won't show in 3d. I don't use a plant schedules so not a problem for me

This is a nice to fair hack but I actually use plants in my drawings. I would need to remove all plants from my construction documents to get the schedule to work with only the notes items. Or, is there another way to filter out the plants from the schedule other than by floor?

Alan,

Group select all your actual Plants and uncheck "Include in Schedule".  The "Notes Plants" you put on a Layer of their own so you can turn them on/off for display purposes.

Thanks Joe, these are GREAT ideas.  The best way to get Chief's attention is to send this in as a support ticket an then perhaps include a link to this thread.  It would be great to see this type of thing as a new feature and not have to do a workaround with plant schedules, etc.  I use this kind of callout numbering of notes on many types of plans (architectural, electrical, finish, etc.) as well as elevations and sections.  It really helps the drawings themselves from getting too cluttered with text.