Can one retain all manually built roof framing and build new?

GeneDavis

I have a number of roof edges in this hipped job to change from plumb eaves to square, and really need to just regenerate the subfascia.  I changed the eaves specs of each and tried opening for spec a subfascia, but it did not rotate from plumb to the 7-pitch square orientation.

The trussed roof arrangement is all full of manually built overframing and fills, and I don't want to lose that.

1 hour ago, GeneDavis said:

I have a number of roof edges in this hipped job to change from plumb eaves to square, and really need to just regenerate the subfascia.  I changed the eaves specs of each and tried opening for spec a subfascia, but it did not rotate from plumb to the 7-pitch square orientation.

The trussed roof arrangement is all full of manually built overframing and fills, and I don't want to lose that.

My first thought would be to replicate the roof planes to a different location, let's say 999" to the right, then build framing for the new roofs. Then select the subfascias, and replicate them 999" to the left. Then delete the unnecessary roof planes.

59 minutes ago, robdyck said:

My first thought would be to replicate the roof planes to a different location, let's say 999" to the right, then build framing for the new roofs. Then select the subfascias, and replicate them 999" to the left. Then delete the unnecessary roof planes.

Not sure if this would work as they are still in the Plan and likely to get rebuilt too assuming Autobuild is on or you use Edit All Roof planes but have you tried to using the Retain Framing check box in the effected Roof Planes and switching the Square/plumb setting? I think it works but not sure the end result will be what you want as even if it does work every rafter will need it's end cut square too, just rotating the subfascia/fascia will not be enough , and that will require the Framing to be rebuilt.

selecting the effected roof planes and using Ctrl-X to CUT them out of the Plan and then rebuilding those Roof planes and using Ctrl-Alt-V to paste the Originals back into the same position might work ? Or copy them into a New Plan , Rebuild them there and bring some or all of it back to the main Plan perhaps?

If it is just a few Roof Planes I guess you could do much of it manually if needed but perhaps i don't quite understand what you are trying to do exactly?.

Try all suggestions out in a copy of your Plan 1st of course.

1 minute ago, Kbird1 said:

Not sure if this would work as they are still in the Plan and likely to get rebuilt too assuming Autobuild is on or you use Edit All Roof planes but have you tried to using the Retain Framing check box in the effected Roof Planes and switching the Square/plumb setting? I think it works but not sure the end result will be what you want as even if it does work every rafter will need it's end cut square too, just rotating the subfascia/fascia will not be enough , and that will require the Framing to be rebuilt.

selecting the effected roof planes and using Ctrl-X to CUT them out of the Plan and then rebuilding those Roof planes and using Ctrl-Alt-V to paste the Originals back into the same position might work ? Or copy them into a New Plan , Rebuild them there and bring some or all of it back to the main Plan perhaps?

If it is just a few Roof Planes I guess you could do much of it manually if needed but perhaps i don't quite understand what you are trying to do exactly?.

Try all suggestions out in a copy of your Plan 1st of course.

Good points. I'm assuming auto-frame would be off, and retain framing would be checked as desired. And the build for the new roofs would be done using the build framing tool for those planes only.