Reference Lines

builtright3

I'm not sure what the technical term is but I call them "Reference Lines" (refer to attached picture to see what I'm talking about). 

My question is;

Is there a way to put these reference lines on the first floor plan and have them show up automatically on the other floors without having to manually put them on each floor? I put these in on all my drawings manually and I hope I'm not missing something simple. I thought there should be an option or tool to automatically generate reference lines but I haven't found anything yet.

post-2478-0-36369300-1412185911_thumb.png

Joey,

If you create Back Clipped Cross Sections, the camera callouts can be displayed on all floors.  But I don't think you can dimension to those.  The other option is to create the "Reference" or "Grid" Lines on one Floor and then "Copy" - "Paste - Hold Position" from one floor to the next.

One technique is to set up a custom layer for your reference lines, then create a custom reference layerset that includes this layer; then when you activate the custom reference layer, you get the reference lines which you can snap to, and use the distance tool with, but they can't be dimensioned. Though, if you have more than two floors, this probably isn't a viable alternative.

I think Perry meant that you can set the cross-section camera to display as a callout, then check the box in the dbx to display on all floors.

Yes, that's what I said in Post #2.  But you can't dimension to a cross section line.  There are pro's and con's with either method.  CA could/should provide us with the option to display the Callout on all Floors - or maybe just add a "Reference Grid Line" Tool.  :D

I

Joey,

If you create Back Clipped Cross Sections, the camera callouts can be displayed on all floors.  But I don't think you can dimension to those.  The other option is to create the "Reference" or "Grid" Lines on one Floor and then "Copy" - "Paste - Hold Position" from one floor to the next.

I don't need to dimension off them. I just use them to reference the wall for the structural calculations. Its funny I have never use the Paste Hold Position. New it was there but I guess I never thought about how it could help me,

Thanks Joe