Confused (Frustrated) With Dimension Font Sizes

Nicinus

I can't figure out how to control font size in my dimensioning in Chief. I don't like the way it zooms in and out so that if I use autodimensiong I can barely see the house for all the numbers if I'm zoomed out. How do I get the same behavior as in Layout? I understand that there is a difference in scale here, and that chief works in a 1:1 mode in plan, but this works with all other text and labels.

I've searched on this topic in the old forums but most threads discussing this are older and may not be relevant anymore. The closest I've come is that I'm supposed to set the Min display value in Preferences for dimensions to 0, but that doesn't do the trick for me. Numbers still change depending on zoom level.

Also, in Layout there is a (over ride?) setting in the layout box settings that lets me set the dimensions directly, which affects all of them. When am I supposed to use this, and isn't it more logical that dimension are set in the annotation set?

Sorry if this super obvious, I seem to be struggling as usual.

Yes, that's the one I change.

Is there some form of hierarchy with annotation set that I'm not understanding perhaps? I have created a 'Floor Plan Set' that is using the active defaults, and dimensions is set to 'Label Text Style' but numbers are more like 12" and seem to use the Plot Plan Style, besides scaling with the plan when I zoom. How can I determine which annotation set is really used when it is using active defaults?

When I set min display size to 0 it has an effect when I zoom out really far, but numbers get smaller in relation to model when I zoom in. Is there a corresponding max number?

If you want to be able to read the dimensions regardless of zoom level, than put a number in the field. That number is pixels on your monitor screen, so depending on your monitor resolution, will determine what size that number is displayed at. set it to whatever size suits you. That setting has no effect on printed output.

post-120-0-99308800-1411753496_thumb.jpg

It's actually on the contrary, I want the text to stay the same no matter Zoom level. Just like in Layout and the text fields for Rooms and other labels.

I want to make all my adjustments in Plan and then just send to Layout without having to worry.

Oh. Well, then leave that value at zero.

Guess I didn't understand the question.

But I'll take another stab anyway.

Select a dimension & see what defaults that dimension is using.

What text style is being used for that default?

Does it match the scale used in the layout view?

Thanks Jim, the scale matches Layout. Previously I've used the Layout box and specified a number there, but according to the manual that is a legacy way and it is recommended to do it via text styles, which is really the way I prefer it.

If I look at a dimension it states layer 'Dimensions, Automatic' and that layer uses in my case the 'Default Label Style' and I've changed the text size between 1" to 12" but see no difference.

If I look at annotations it says 'Using Active Defaults', which is set to 'Plot Plan Dimension Defaults', which in turn is set to use the 'Default Label Style.

Since the Default Label Style doesn't change anything, what is? Looking in the 'Dimension Line Specification' it says Inherits Default Properties from '1/8" Scale Dimension defaults', but where are these properties set? Everything I see seems to say that the default is my Plot plan Dims?

I am somehow probably being a tad thick here, but this seems very messy. All these settings kind of rubber band together.

But that dimension is not necessarily using the layer to determine the text style. You have to look at the dimension defaults to see what you have set up. Are you using the layer to determine the text style/

Are you using a specific text style for dimensions regardless of layer.

Or a custom text style?

It can be very confusing. and maybe I'm confused too.

The quickest way to get this solved would be to post the plan. or just copy/paste an area illustrating the situation into a blank plan & post that.

We'll have it figured out in no time.

post-120-0-07069000-1411761263_thumb.jpg

As to which dbx controls what text etc, I think I'm slowly starting to figure it out. The dbx for 'Dimension Line Specification' has a setting 'Inherit Default Properties From' that has been playing tricks with me.

What I can't understand though is why the dimension label text changes size in plan? Or starts to get smaller at a certain point. Let's say I've decided to place my floor plan on the sheet in 1/4" scale and I want dimensions to be 1/8", which means the text should be 6" in plan, right? It respects this when zooming out, but not after a certain point when I zoom in. I assume it is to keep text readable but this behavior is in contrast to for example room labels that always keep their relative size.

Many of those old inquiries were mine. It seems that when some people set it to zero it works to scale correctly when zooming, but it never did for me, I feel your pain, it makes working really messy.  I changed my default dimension size to 3 and then it seemed to work correctly.  I change it back at the end of the plan.  But now it seems to work even at 4.5, but I don't know what changed--might have been an update--from chief or NViDia.