Two Component List For Doors?

ACADuser

Totally Normal !!!!!!

The Component List is unique for each Door.  Interior Doors are different than Exterior Doors so the list itself is different, just as the list for a Window is different than the list for a Cabinet, etc.

Are you looking perhaps for a Door Schedule rather than the Component List for an Individual Door?

I have a door schedule in the drawing. Just wanted to update/change the comment & other fields.

Change comment for D3 on one list did not change the comment on the other list.

D3 is D3 is D3 is it not? If it is local to itself the why is it displayed on the component list for D5 when I access it via D5?

Just a little clarification.

The Component List is for that particular Object and you can add or modify the data for that Object.  If you subsequently copy the Object, the components will be copied as well.  The data in the Components can be shown in columns of the Schedule (door Schedule for example) and you can create Custom Columns to match any lines you have in the Components List.

This is a fairly complex thing to set up but for example:

I have Sub Categories set up for my Doors (Hardware, Head, Jamb, Sill) and in my Door Schedule I have added those Columns.  The Data in the Description Field of the Sub Categories shows up in my Door Schedule for those Columns.

I have a door schedule in the drawing. Just wanted to update/change the comment & other fields.

Change comment for D3 on one list did not change the comment on the other list.

D3 is D3 is D3 is it not? If it is local to itself the why is it displayed on the component list for D5 when I access it via D5?

NO, you misunderstand.

D3 simply refers to Door Component #3 for the particular Door.  It does not refer to Door #3 nor would it be the same for other Doors.

Each Door is made up of various components.  One of those is the Door itself.  The "D" refers only to the fact that it's a part of the door.  E is for Exterior Trim components and T is for Interior Trim Components.

If you want to change the Comment Column for a particular Door:

1.  Open the Components List for that Door

2.  Find the Line that contains the actual Door (it will have the size and description data)  It might be D1, D2, D3 or D5 or D10 ......

3.  Edit the Comments Column of that Line.

4.  That data will now show up in the Comments Column of the Door Schedule.

I wonder why we have to go through hoops just to add some notes to schedule items, it is a bit confusing?

Custom Schedules require Custom Symbols that have those Sub Categories in their Components.  This is basically why I rarely use any of Chief's standard OOB Symbols or Generic Doors, Windows, etc.

The Custom Symbols that I have in my Library have all the appropriate Sub Categories with the Description Field, Manufacturer, etc filled in.

It would be nice if Chief was set up so that adding Schedule Columns would automatically add those Sub Categories to the Objects and make those fields available in the Object dbx rather than the very cumbersome "Components" List.

OK, Got all my swing doors & bi-pass door comments in the table.

One problem:

One room requires a Barn Door or Exterior Sliding door. The Leaf is on the outside of the wall.

I used a Door Opening with a Polyline rectangle for the leaf for plan view but that is not in the schedule.

I have Door Style > Slab & Door type > Doorway & Include in Schedule checked but it is not in the schedule.

any ideas?

It would be nice if Chief was set up so that adding Schedule Columns would automatically add those Sub Categories to the Objects and make those fields available in the Object dbx rather than the very cumbersome "Components" List.

Amen. It would also be nice if we could edit the schedule text directly, which would update the component data without the need to track down the actual object within the plan.