Difference molding polyline and 3D molding polyline???

rockyshepheard

Is there a difference?  I created the same 3D object using both. They both look 3D to me in the 3D view but the molding polyline has a double line in the plan view, while the 3D molding polyline has only a single line in the plan view. I am not getting what use this distinction serves.

Tried to find in the manual but in the free reader, it scrolls to fast and there isn't a search box. 

You're Welcome. Just a warning when using the 3D molding polyline, it's fairly straight forward when you are just extending it in two planes but gets very tricky when you off into the 3rd plane, if you are not in the right view when dragging it will seem to go off into nowhere land. You need to keep in mind that depending on it's angle and direction it is actually changing in two planes at the same time as you are dragging it, as such you must make sure that the view you are using can show this properly, often it is necessary to have several views open so you can see what's going on. It's a bit like manipulating roofing planes in plan view, as you extend the roof plane it is also increasing in height according to the slope but you can't see that in the plan view.

2 hours ago, rockyshepheard said:

Very strange. I was able to move both types in the x,y,z using transform/replicate object button.

That is not the same as being able to extend only a single continuous line in 3 planes. The transform/replicate is just a sophisticated copy/paste function, the end result is two independent objects, they are not tied/linked together.

7 hours ago, tommy1 said:

As you go on, you'll eventually find out that some things will only be able to be done using a 3D molding poly line. Graham described it well.

I finally figured out how to make the entrance with just a wall and a door. Much easier not adjusting x,y,z many times to position! Thx

test.plan

3 hours ago, rockyshepheard said:

I finally figured out how to make the entrance with just a wall and a door. Much easier not adjusting x,y,z many times to position! Thx

test.plan

Not only is it much easier and faster but more importantly you have not potentially corrupted the wall. In CA walls are the most fundamental element, it's the core that many other elements such as roofs, floors and foundations are derived from. If your walls are correct, properly positioned and defined, then CA will do a very good job at generating the rest. Many of the issues you are encountering are directly related to your walls. Keep in mid that if CA auto builds for example a roof that is not what you expected it did so based upon the data it obtained from your walls, as such the place to look for the issue is your walls or lack of walls(visible or invisible). Another indicator that your core structure of methods are not correct is when you start using things like polyline solids and custom made symbols to make the core structure look correct. These tools are mainly designed to provide users the ability to create highly customized elements. For example, in your plan you used polyline solids to create your terrain, Ca has a terrain feature which should have been used. Unlike a polyline solid the CA generated terrain is fully recognized by CA, it contains important data that CA can use when placing other objects within the terrains boundary. A Polyline Solid is not recognized this way, objects placed on the terrain will automatically adjust if the terrain is adjusted, objects placed on a Polyline Solid simulated terrain will not do that.

It's very tempting when starting to learn CA to get ahead of ones self. Before the primary structure is correct we start decorating the model with furniture, trees, molding trim work, lights and everything including the kitchen sink. In most cases this will come back to haunt you as at some point in time you are going to have to fix that primary structure. The more complex your plan the more difficult it will be to isolate the structure problem, then when you fix that you will most likely have to go back and adjust all of those other decorative elements. Also, some of those decorative elements can interfere with structural changes, walls will bump into and be restricted if there is an object in the way, now you have to move the object before you can move the wall. The more complex the plan the worse it gets, frustration rises, the plan becomes error prone and can get to the point where you have to delete everything and start all over again.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ridge_Runner said:

Sounds like the voice of experience to me. ;)

That's for sure, been there done that way too often and paid dearly for succumbing to that temptation.

The other realization is to take the time and effort to understand and respect how CA wants things done. Though I may have my own personal preferences as to how CA should do something the reality is "it is what it is". My time is better spent conforming to CA than trying to fight it with a bunch of workarounds. What's interesting is that once I have properly explored CA's way I tend to gain a better understanding as to why they chose to do it that way. Now I can move forward instead of wasting a bunch of time trying to create techniques/methods that often end up creating more problems than they resolve.

• Upvote 1