Reflected Ceiling Plan issues

Evolution

(Sorry for being so verbose but) Interesting situation. I need a reflected ceiling plan of the addition. So, I went to each room creating room polylines. I believe that was the idea I had gotten from one of Chop Saw’s videos, but  (using KB – 00291 “Creating a Suspended Ceiling”) I overlaid each room and slid the RPL off to the side so I could work on it better. I believe I followed it to the “T”, one step at a time.  Got my ceiling lay out for each room perfect. 

I opened the layer set (floor plan set) / copied and renamed it to “Reflected Ceiling Plan Set. It looked great. I turned off everything not relevant to the RCP. Then I grouped selected each RPL and slid it back into each specific room. I sent it to layout on a different sheet than all the others, floor plan, etc., looked GREAT! But when I went to all the other layout sheets that had floor plans bang the Ceiling layouts were on each.  I checked my Layer set for reflected ceiling and had turned off everything except walls and PL’s. So, since that didn’t work the way I’d hoped I looked at how to turn off the RCP layer set I had created, but even when I switched layer sets the RCP still shows in each of the floor plan (1/8” scale, ¼” scale).  I had searched the Videos and found the vid that CA made (back in version X6) Drawing a Suspended Ceiling with Grid and Tile and I can do that as easy as what I did, but how do I undo the RPL / Ceilings I created?   I’ve done all on set, and unchecked items attempting to isolate the RPL’s so I can take them out. Is there an easier way? I wasn’t able to isolate them and trying to take them out line by line is too time consuming. I tried the group select but it takes out walls, doors etc.  Even if I turn them off in that layer.  The other problem is how to keep the Suspended Ceiling I created from showing up in the floor plans?  Sorry, forgot to mention are there not any 2X4  fluorescent lay in light fixtures in X10? I mimicked them with CAD lines. I guess I have to go look in the 3D warehouse?

5b7d7a304ca70_ReflectedCeilingplan.thumb.PNG.ca58e1987bcb003e64bcc78d48c4748b.PNG

NO 2X4 LIGHT FIXTURES.PNG

The layer system is way more complicated than it needs to be Chief should be completely reworking many features that have been carried forward from update to update. I draw my RCP be hand and save as a cad detail then insert it into the layout.

1 hour ago, raltd9245 said:

The layer system is way more complicated than it needs to be Chief should be completely reworking many features that have been carried forward from update to update. I draw my RCP be hand and save as a cad detail then insert it into the layout.

I tried that, but couldn't get it to save as a "cad" detail? I may not be doing it correctly? Do you start by making a room poly line? Then add the grid. Also, how do you insert lay in light fixtures and HVAC grilles?

1 hour ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Thanks Joe. Without going back through all the original explanation, I did do a unique layer set. I copied the LS for my plan view, named it Reflected Ceiling plan. I turned off everything on that layer set that is not relevant. 

I do need to go back and see if the cad lines are on the cad layer (which most likely they are), but the  real issue, is not being able to show a separate enlarged floor plan (noted reflected ceiling plan) without it showing up on all of the plans. I have backed everything back out, and started from scratch again. I still may not be doing it correctly but, I've highlighted each room, and made a room poly line, to which I added cad lines (using transform replicate) to create the grid layout in both directions. As long as I don't drag them back into the RCP they don't muddy up my layouts, but the minute I do, then they show up on all the floor plans.  I've turned everything off and on to see what may be going on. I am trying to do it for my self it just takes practice. Getting going in the right direction makes practice worth while but that too is part of the challenge, I just can't seem to get started in the right direction!

1 hour ago, solver said:

For the items you drew to create the reflected ceiling plan, did you put them on a unique layer?

Are the CAD lines still on the CAD, Default layer?

Layer sets are just a grouping of layers and their settings.

Eric, I'm sure I'm making this too hard!?!?! Take a look at what I'd set up and advise if the Cad is not on the RCP layer.  I am still in the learning stages (probably always will be) with C/A and certainly not the expert you and Joe and the others are!

Cad Default.PNG

Also take the time to "Save As" the Reflected Ceiling Plan View, separate from your saved Floor Plan View.

Then send each "Saved Plan View" to layout separately.  

btw, I use almost no CAD Lines.  Virtually everything is 3D Symbols from the Libraries - some of which are symbols I created myself.  It takes just a little bit of time to create a new symbol and get it working correctly.  Then it's available for the next time.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, solver said:

The reflected plan items (CAD Lines etc) need to be on unique layers.

Like CAD, RCP. These unique layers are ON in the RCP layer set, and OFF in all others.

You are seeing your RCP items on other sheets because the layer they are on is ON in that layer set.

Eric, I understand the concept, but I guess I just don't understand how to make it work (how to get there), yet.  I'll keep working on it (practice) but for now have to figure a way around it and keep moving for code review. Being the expert you are, I'm sure it's second nature to know what to do and how to do it. Don't give up on me!

Joe, your suggestion "Also take the time to "Save As" the Reflected Ceiling Plan View, separate from your saved Floor Plan View.

Then send each "Saved Plan View" to layout separately." makes sense for sure! I suppose by saving the RCPV separate from the other plan views and sending to layout separately, creating a sub folder for that plan set, also means saving the layouts to the same folder and then when all are finished, saving them as a CA PDF file so I can send them for printing? I'm not sure how to do that step any other way?

Thanks for your patients also!

YOU GUY's ARE THE BEST!!!!

1 hour ago, Evolution said:

suppose by saving the RCPV separate from the other plan views and sending to layout separately, creating a sub folder for that plan set, also means saving the layouts to the same folder

You evidently don't fully understand "Saved Plan Views".  This is all done within the same Plan File and a single Layout File. 

When you have a floor plan displayed with a specific Layer Set and use the "Save Plan View As" icon it creates a named view that remembers just about everything in terms of the open displayed view.  When sent to Layout it will always have the correct Layer Set, etc and is linked back to that "Saved Plan View".  When you double click on the view in your Layout, it will open that "Saved Plan View" in the Plan File.  Any changes you make to that view will be updated in the Layout.

Be careful not to use the "Save Plan View" icon unless you want to overwrite the existing Layer Set, Zoom Factor, Reference Floor, etc with what is currently open & displayed.

• Save Plan View As  -->  Creates a new named Plan View in the Project Browser
  • Save Plan View       -->  Updates the currently displayed Plan View in the Project Browser

Also make sure that it is the "Saved Plan View" that is sent to Layout in each case, not just the "Floor Plan".  They are 2 different things.

8 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

You evidently don't fully understand "Saved Plan Views".  This is all done within the same Plan File and a single Layout File. 

When you have a floor plan displayed with a specific Layer Set and use the "Save Plan View As" icon it creates a named view that remembers just about everything in terms of the open displayed view.  When sent to Layout it will always have the correct Layer Set, etc and is linked back to that "Saved Plan View".  When you double click on the view in your Layout, it will open that "Saved Plan View" in the Plan File.  Any changes you make to that view will be updated in the Layout.

Be careful not to use the "Save Plan View" icon unless you want to overwrite the existing Layer Set, Zoom Factor, Reference Floor, etc with what is currently open & displayed.

• Save Plan View As  -->  Creates a new named Plan View in the Project Browser
  • Save Plan View       -->  Updates the currently displayed Plan View in the Project Browser

Also make sure that it is the "Saved Plan View" that is sent to Layout in each case, not just the "Floor Plan".  They are 2 different things.

I'm catching on!

2 hours ago, solver said:

Here is a simple plan and layout. 

Two plan views, one for the normal plan and one for the RCP plan.

RCP layer set, and new CAD, RCP layer with some CAD lines on it representing the RCP items.

Layout has 2 sheets, one for the normal plan and one for the RCP.

BOB RCP.zip

Eric, I think I'm headed in the right direction.  Thanks for the help!

11 hours ago, ShaneK said:

3d all the way, I have library of several grid layouts, easy to modify and tiles have been around for a while. I have a specific layer set for RCP.5b7f69319bd0d_susceil.thumb.png.ed75eac289ce46ae01226366c70d6407.png

Real cool Shane!  I know we can do about anything with CA software. Since I don't make my living with it (unfortunately) its difficult for me to spend any / much office time devoted to learning all the "tricks of the trade" with it, thus my ignorance to all the tools and how best to use them.  Since I average about 55 to 60 hours a week managing projects, bidding jobs, writing bid-packages, working to build my stable of projects for my employer, as Dermot put it, "Perhaps I should spend some time watching the CA videos", and he IS right, but time to do that is at a premium, especially when I'm readying a 19MM project for bidding etc. You probably get my drift?   And, believe me....I'm eternally grateful to ALL those on this forum who lay aside their dislike for ignorance and are willing to help folks like me. I'm NOT lazy, and wish I could devote more time to watching all the vid's available. In fact, I have spent quite a bit of time watching a few special ones, as in working with Layer sets, anno-sets and quite a few more.  When I hit a snag, before I come to this forum for help, I "hit-the-books" if you will, and the vids.  In fact I have the vid site saved to favorites, also have printed out much KB info.  BTW, not complaining, the CA vids have to be time sensitive, and most of them arn't difficult to follow, however; some of them are done so fast I have to keep going back and replaying them over and over to get all the little bits of info hidden to the novice such as I.  BUT, to ALL of you on this forum...…...YOU ARE A LIFE SAVER1

Thanks again!!!!