Symbol and CAD Blocks/Line styles

SNestor

I'm attempting to make my own shelf and rod symbol.  The symbol is easy enough...but, the CAD block is another story.  I want line that represents the pole to be a dashed line...representing that it is underneath the shelf.  I've tried just about every thing I can thing of...and no matter what I do the line in the CAD block is always solid.  

When I made the symbol I called it a "Fixture"...is this the problem?  When I place the symbol into a plan...does the new plan assign the layer to the symbol...like a CAD block?  Or does it retain the layers it was created with?

Attached are some pics...5b5130501b97f_ShelfandRod1.thumb.png.50ea558506dfafb0b52baf364a4319ad.png  5b51305114bd8_ShelfandRod2.thumb.png.b4ad0d579f608e95eac692212b697ab6.png

this is what I'm trying to achieve...

5b5130ea4e6d7_ShelfandRod3.thumb.png.761d251b761d8618afdf3d4be6965584.png

Steve, Cad blocks for symbols do not recognize line styles.  You will need to tediously draw the dashed line with individual broken cad lines and you should be fine once that is assigned to the symbol.  Very low tech.

I believe the symbol retains the layer settings it is created with and will even create that layer if it does not exist in the plan, maybe, give it a try.

Sorry, Symbols can only be created on default layers, that second part applies more to Cad and 
Architectural Blocks stored in the Library.

Once the symbol is created you can open object in library (except cabinets) and change the layer.

Here's one way-shelf (on layer shelf) with rod (layer shelf rod) blocked. I made both as new symbols -fixture interior- guessing that's what you were after. Would have to tab (or unblock) to change size so I'd keep the smaller one in the library.

shelf with rod.png

shelf with rod.plan

9 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

Once the symbol is created you can open object in library (except cabinets) and change the layer.

Here's one way-shelf (on layer shelf) with rod (layer shelf rod) blocked. I made both as new symbols -fixture interior- guessing that's what you were after. Would have to tab (or unblock) to change size so I'd keep the smaller one in the library.

shelf with rod.png

shelf with rod.plan

Mark...thanks for taking the time to help me.  Very much appreciated.

If I'm right...those are "architectural blocks"...not symbols?  I was trying to make a symbol I could stretch to fit any size closet.  I used the method suggested by Chopsaw...drew individual lines in the block to represent the hidden rod...assigned it to the symbol and it worked well.

See symbol in plan attached...Shelf and Rod Plan.plan