dimension deatures

madcowscarnival

I use end to end and point to point dimensions quite frequently.  Is there a setting that would permit me locating both the end points as well as the text placement all in one "move"?  Currently, I click one end where to place, release left click on the other end, but it drops the dimension line right there.  I then have to click again on that dimension (which can be hard to select depending on how much stuff is in the way) and drag it out from the wall.  I would really like to know if there is a setting to set dimensions similar to roof planes.  Click, drag, release, (locate) click.

Also, is there a method to permanently relocate the "Living Area" calculation?  It sits right on top of the outer auto dimension.  Every time I move it out of my way, if I change anything involving the dimensioned object, it pops right back to where it was.

In X10 the Living Area label is supposed to stay where you put it.  If this is not the case please elaborate or send in to tech.  Yes the default position is rarely useful but is there somewhere that would work for every plan, perhaps not.

Manual dimensions are somewhat, well manual, but perhaps what you point out would make a good suggestion for improvement as there are likely many who would agree.

1 hour ago, madcowscarnival said:

I then have to click again on that dimension (which can be hard to select depending on how much stuff is in the way) and drag it out from the wall.  I would really like to know if there is a setting to set dimensions similar to roof planes.  Click, drag, release, (locate) click.

Yes you can, on the dimension defaults, extension tab, proximity fixed. I use annosets to have different dim defaults to use on cabinets (and other things) I don't like auto interior dims so I have these set so I can just drag a line to get what I need. Example has two different "proximity fixed" settings.

Where it the dimension ends up will depend on which side of the object you run your line across. When set it will not allow you to move the dimension line manually without changing that setting.

different dim defaults.png

Default A.png

Default B.png

The other beauty of using Proximity Fixed is that if you drag the wall/object perpendicular to it's length or the dimension line, the dimension line will maintain it relationship with the wall/object (ie, the Proximity Fixed distance) and move with the wall/object.