Best way to save file versions

ARDSdesign

I would like to know other users methods of saving file versions that make life a little easier. Anyone who would like to share how they save file versions I would love to hear from you. Do you number them? Do you name the file with the clients name and also number them? I would just like to hear from you all. Thank you in advance for taking a moment to let me know what works for you I appreciate the input.

I think you are referring to individual job files names. One way to do it, is to have the most current plan named as (example) Smith Current.plan

Then if you have revisions, you start doing a save as numbering, so you would have Smith 01.plan, Smith 02.plan etc. but Smith Current is the one that is always the working model, that way, your layout files wouldnt have to be redone.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Rpadge said:

I think you are referring to individual job files names. One way to do it, is to have the most current plan named as (example) Smith Current.plan

Then if you have revisions, you start doing a save as numbering, so you would have Smith 01.plan, Smith 02.plan etc. but Smith Current is the one that is always the working model, that way, your layout files wouldnt have to be redone.

Yup.  I do something very similar.  I’ll also add additional details to the file name sometimes just to help remind me what the fork in the road might have been or what the specific phase might be such as “Smith Res. (with columns)”, “Smith Res. Phase 3”, “Smith Res. 2 (tall cabs)”, Smith Res. 2 (short cabs)”, etc.  The most important part to me though has been maintaining a “Smith Res. Current”, or like I personally name it...”Smith Res. Main”.  Whenever I hit a fork in the road, I’ll do a Save As with a new naming suffix but always continue drawing using the most likely final version and making sure it has the “Smith Res. Current” name, even if that means doing another Save As immediately after the first and overwriting the previous “Current” version.  

• Upvote 1

I save by version (X-10) . and actually have a new folder for every version, then in those folders I use job name folders and put everything do with that job in that job name folder, photos and all pdf's etc.  as for plans I just use floor plan 1,2,3,4,5 for the changes and I always know the last number is the latest. Only need 1 layout and just change the linked plan file to the layout

4 hours ago, DRAWZILLA said:

I save by version (X-10) . and actually have a new folder for every version, then in those folders I use job name folders and put everything do with that job in that job name folder, photos and all pdf's etc.  as for plans I just use floor plan 1,2,3,4,5 for the changes and I always know the last number is the latest. Only need 1 layout and just change the linked plan file to the layout

My system is very similar.  Once in awhile I get a nutty job where I have more than one layout, and too too many different plan files but that is the exception. with this system I can tell what was going on at a particular stage.  \\

5b450b155c4fd_ScreenShot2018-07-10at12_36_52PM.thumb.png.07f536654635e5a7560c4217833c5f76.png

5b450b1c731f1_ScreenShot2018-07-10at12_35_23PM.thumb.png.e41949540f672f44a5231a6ab8df944f.png

• Upvote 1