Secrets To Importing Kohler Sink Symbols?

Designers_Edge

I would love to get some tips to successfully import 3D Kohler sink symbols.  I have tried multiple combinations of advanced setting options - such as having it insert into a countertop, and not having it insert, BUT have it sit on a base cabinet with a height off the floor that I calculate as 36" minus the depth of the sink. I have changed the option: Type to "sinks bathroom".  No matter the combination of any of the above, the sink still floats above the countertop. I can't grab it in elevation nor in cross-section to pull it down.

I have no difficulty with toilets and pedestal sinks, nor with faucets--only sinks both kitchen and bath.

I appreciate any guidance with this.

I have not adjusted those. I have used Chief for a long time, but I have not worked with creating symbols or importing many of them, especially before before Chief made it so much easier to do so with the last few versions. Since X3-6, I have imported symbols and have gone as far as changing the colors if necessary, & file names. If they were not oriented properly, I would just delete those. I have tried using the Chief help manual, but it assumes a base knowledge that I don't have about 3D modeling,

I so appreciate your help and willingness to share your hard earned knowledge. As mentioned, I did change it to inserts into countertop. So, in the z setting, do you enter a standard 36" or do you account for the height of the sink? Is it a negative or positive number.

In the lib. some of the front apron sinks are set to sit on top , I changed it to imbed into countertop and still no go. I had to set its height to get it to work.

Perry,

The best solution I've found for the Apron Front Sinks is to use a Cabinet that's shorter (by the amount of the Sink Depth) and set the Counter Top thickness for that Cabinet to 0. That eliminates a lot of other problems - like the front panel of the Cabinet possibly protruding into the sink. Besides, that's how I specify the Cabinet. I do the same for commercial Cook Tops - they just sit on a shorter cabinet.

In a prior thread Joe answered how to get the counter cutout proper for the imported sink- worth a look.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/443-undermount-sinks/?hl=sink#entry3000

Just did an inset job with Kohler Whitehaven - got it to work with -no top separation and opening for first face item. For that sink in inset it is the way I order it so the model helps there. No problem with the front being in the sink but with bottom set to proper height there is interference in the bottom of it but plan view is fine. Converted the dwg to a 3ds before import out of habit.

post-85-0-76173600-1408046823_thumb.png

post-85-0-34417400-1408046834_thumb.png

post-85-0-94817100-1408046842_thumb.png

• 3 weeks later...

It is so helpful when everyone posts how they have handled importing Kohler items.  I so wish we could get a manufacturer catalog from them or another plumbing company.  Wouldn't it be nice if some of the Chief video training wizards would do one importing "problem" symbols and how to solve the issues.  I am finding now that all of the Kohler faucets and shower/tub trims etc. are showing up in the thumbnails as white on 3D Warehouse and importing sometimes in white or a red color.  I've attached a thumbnail showing other brands such as Brizio mixed in and they look normal.  What's the deal with that, last year that wasn't the case-something Kohler has changed in their symbols?  

post-1026-0-49666300-1409673503_thumb.jpg