foxriver32

Labeling framing members?

All this time I've manually added labels to framing views.

I figured there has to be a way to get chief to automatically add some framing member labels. For instance, on roof framing. labels for valleys, hips, ridge ...common rafters ....something like "2x6 common rafters 16"oc" or some sort of variation. I've googled, watched videos and checked the manuals.... just can't find out how.

Running chief x9

Thanks in advance,

Scott

11 hours ago, gelbuilding said:

Ask Joe Carrick.

He has great macros that make it all simple.

George Wall Detail Sample.JPG

Thanks George, thats exactly what I need. Would be nice if it could be used on every 4th or 10th or 7th member, but I could use something like that.

Does he sell these?

Thanks again

Scott

FYI---

You may want to "look before you leap"?

Using a label on every framing member will needlessly clutter the plan. Also, Chief does not label valleys properly and there is no way to label every other member automatically. i suggest you first check out the available data first. If you only want to label a few representative members do so manually.

You may just want to use the new framing schedule and select the members you want or use the manual macros in the label tab. "Standard Freebees"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, foxriver32 said:

Thanks George, thats exactly what I need. Would be nice if it could be used on every 4th or 10th or 7th member, but I could use something like that.

Does he sell these?

Thanks again

Scott

Scott,

Not trying to discourage you from buying macros from Joe (or myself for that matter) but just FYI, you can actually get much of what you're after by just group selecting the desired framing members and placing the %length% macro in the label.  Just make sure your framing labels and header labels layers are turned on and you should end up with something like this...

5aced235520a3_Framingdims.thumb.jpg.fd31d689e83735b1a7f09259f4eff45d.jpg

Gerry,

Joe`s macros also allocates a component list for all the members in the individual walls.

I had given these lists to our carpenters and they love it because they can cut their frames quickly with great accuracy.

Also great for ordering material

2 minutes ago, gelbuilding said:

Gerry,

Joe`s macros also allocates a component list for all the members in the individual walls.

I had given these lists to our carpenters and they love it because they can cut their frames quickly with great accuracy.

Also great for ordering material

The standard schedules actually do that same thing...

Schedule.thumb.jpg.5ab837b727bba9d4bc256b02f5d93618.jpg

• Like 1

i totally agree with Michael. if you have x10 ( I suggest that you should), you should also look at the material list-- specially the framing drop down fields. Probably more useful -- and free. Sometimes the more complicated is not necessarily better.