IsaacStanfield

Displaying Deck Rails

I finally figured out how to modify the stock rails, but I can't figure out how to output the drawing in anything other than plan view. The guy who will be making the railing needs to see it with dimensions. I just need a drawing of the railing by itself without a building, room, etc. It's probably an obvious solution but I don't know it yet. I'm using X10 on a windows machine.

And filling out your signature is always helpful

Draw the Railing in it's Own Plan perhaps or use a BackClipped Cross Section set to 6" so you only see the Railing might work too

Post the Plan and I think someone will advise...

this is a User Based self help Forum so as others said it's good to have your Forum Signature filled in please,

especially with the Software Version, and of course a Name is nice too :) ..............

***see mine below in Blue for how to do that.
If you don't see my Signature then you have them turned off for the Forum
Toggle it on in UserName>Account >Signatures...... go to the Upper RH Corner of Forum Window.
M.

My first thought would be to do a back-clip>cad detail from view>edit detail to suit your needs.

Thanks for the responses. I guess I should have more clear. The only thing I've drawn is the railing. I need to make elevations of different sections to give to the welder. The plan I'm working in has no building, no deck, nothing except sections of railing. I'll try the back-clip thing. I've only been using CA for about a month so I'm still finding my way around.

I tried to turn on signatures but my browser is resisting. It seems like the forum culture has a thing for sigs. For everyone's information, I'm using X10 on a Windows computer.

Thanks for the tip Kbird1. My username is my name. Did I do that wrong too?

If all you have is the railing it should be very simple to take an elevation view of it and add dimensions and notes as needed.

This assumes that you have the railing designed as you want in the first place.

Regarding the signature...it not only helps all of us understand the version and equipment you are using but also demonstrates a level of commitment on your end ;)

I finally found the elevation maker. It took me forever. Now I'm wrestling with where the dimensions snap to and how to get it to dimension the balusters along with total width.

I see your point about the sig. I've never used them on other forums so it's a new concept for me. I try to be respectful of forum cultures wherever I go but honestly, other than my equipment I'm just not that interesting.

Take a cross section, then create a CAD Detail From View. Try your dimensions there.

These images were from another thread, but show the idea.

ct2.thumb.jpg.b6f768921196f7b15b5e5406e3dee6f7.jpgct1.thumb.jpg.be4039eb381fb0d6ff3b6a7aed5596fb.jpg

17 hours ago, IsaacStanfield said:

Thanks for the responses. I guess I should have more clear. The only thing I've drawn is the railing. I need to make elevations of different sections to give to the welder. The plan I'm working in has no building, no deck, nothing except sections of railing. I'll try the back-clip thing. I've only been using CA for about a month so I'm still finding my way around.

I tried to turn on signatures but my browser is resisting. It seems like the forum culture has a thing for sigs. For everyone's information, I'm using X10 on a Windows computer.

Thanks for the tip Kbird1. My username is my name. Did I do that wrong too?

Not at all Isaac  :) but most people Don't use their Real names as there UserName and personally if I am helping someone I prefer to respond to someone by name ... not "something" on the internet , we are after all a User Community helping each other here .... not paid Support Staff. I'd still suggest putting Isaac in the Signature for your Future Posts which I assume will be many over the coming years....

The biggest reason though is there are many versions of Chief going back 20yrs ( and the Home Designer titles) and if you aren't using the latest there are often quite different Answers as we get new tools every version.

M.