Alright, before I get jumped on, I did search through pages of X10 camera issues and couldn't find anything like what I am experiencing.

I have CA X10 on a Mid 2015 MacBook Pro with an Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB graphics card. 

So here's what I've run into. I can create a standard full camera view and it looks great. As soon as I turn the camera so it is facing the eastern hemisphere I will get this glitchy looking view - like the framing members are showing through in the view. Once I look back to the west, no problem. In the attached screen shots this is a view, and then one click to the left and it glitches. Go back to the right and it looks fine.

I have narrowed it down to the reflections setting. If I turn reflections off, I don't have any issues navigating around the entire plan in the camera view. Once I turn reflections back on, the issue resurfaces. 

Anyone else seen this? I was so excited to download the latest update as it said something about graphics issues with Intel cards, but it doesn't seem to have fixed my issue.

This is a plan that was originally created in X9, but now that I have opened it in X10 I can't go back to X9 (the plan didn't have this problem in X9). 

Edit: Sorry the problem arrises when facing the Southern Hemisphere, not the eastern

Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 9.38.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 9.38.07 PM.png

You may be pushing the limits of your graphics card now that CA recommends a dedicated 4-8 GB card.  However this should still be sent in.  There may be some other settings you can use to keep using your current setup.

If you would like to run the file in X9 there should be a usable copy in your X10 Archives folder.

3 hours ago, MrLowry said:

I have CA X10 on a Mid 2015 MacBook Pro with an Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB graphics card. 

I have run into a different issue with my little HP that also only has an Intel card. Support is looking into it might want to send yours in too.

BTW Chopsaw is mistaken about the system requirements- current are 4GB system and 1GB video card, still says it supports Intel cards but does  recommending a dedicated GPU.

I can't reproduce your issue. On mine the problem is more with PBR views but what is worth looking into. While trying to get what you are getting I did get a series of SEH errors in standard views but I had forgotten to switch my power setting to performance.

What I found is that I only have the issue with current "correct" drivers for the card (dated from 11/17 onward). Graham has an older version of the same machine and discovered this an update to his driver. I've had to force install a driver from an older version of the card, one that supposedly does not support the hardware I have, to make everything work. So if you video driver is newer you might try a roll back to an older version and see if that helps.

Just to be clear Mark,  I was not stating system requirements.  Rather System Recommendations.  As CA does not clearly state the difference in expected performance..

PC and Mac Recommended

• 16 GB of memory
  • 50 GB of available hard disk space
  • 4 GB or 8 GB gaming video card

The Whole Story as stated by Chief Architect here : https://www.chiefarchitect.com/products/sysreq.html

PC and Mac Recommended

15 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

You may be pushing the limits of your graphics card now that CA recommends a dedicated 4-8 GB card.  However this should still be sent in.  There may be some other settings you can use to keep using your current setup.

If you would like to run the file in X9 there should be a usable copy in your X10 Archives folder.

Thanks for the reply!

The thing I find odd is that it performs great otherwise! Even with reflections on it runs smoothly as long as I am looking in a north-ish direction. It's just when I go to turn around that I start having problems.

28 minutes ago, MrLowry said:

Thanks for the reply!

The thing I find odd is that it performs great otherwise! Even with reflections on it runs smoothly as long as I am looking in a north-ish direction. It's just when I go to turn around that I start having problems.

Have you tried adjusting the sun location?

Chop- I'd said

12 hours ago, MarkMc said:

does  recommending a dedicated GPU.

It should still run with the minimum without having a major feature broken. Before I got the HP I talked with Graham who has had one for a while- it runs Grandview. I wouldn't want to do production on it but didn't expect it to. It ran X10 a tad slower than 9 and did PBR fine, until the public release. So I think they can fix this stuff.

On 3/20/2018 at 9:09 PM, Chopsaw said:

f you would like to run the file in X9 there should be a usable copy in your X10 Archives folder.

I would check the X9 Archive Folder for the last version used in X9 if needed....

M.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    THDesign
    Newest Member
    THDesign

• By kylejmarsh
      I'm interested in building a new Mac setup for running Chief. 

Currently I have a Mid-2014 Macbook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 4 Cores, w/Nvidia GeForce GT 750M 2048MB GPU. This setup will run Chief Models well until they get to about 3000 SF - by 'well' I mean they are pretty lag-free in 3D mode (with optimized exterior camera i.e. cabinet, interior casing, plumbing layers 'off' to decrease total modeled polygons). I've noticed that on a recent 6000 sf project, I was often waiting for the model to 'rebuild' even getting a dialog at times - my productivity was way down, and I was frustrated (and bored at the same time - waiting for all that refresh time.) In Layout, I'm often waiting for views to refresh / render for me, especially 'plot line' views - even when I'm working with a smaller model, in order to make a set of CD's it seems that I wait just a bit too long for everything to happen - especially if this is my business. So it seems I've located a place where my current setup is lacking.

I'm committed to running a Mac - although the concepts of a setup should be similar even if you're planning a PC.

Mostly I'm using Chief to create models of homes and renovations of 1500 - 4500 sf, and to create Construction Docs from the model. I do a few renderings through the course of the process, but no video exports. Mostly I'm interested in a model that rebuilds quickly, and layout views that update quickly - and if I could eliminate that tiny lag that happens with pretty much every operation - then I'd really be happy.

What do I need Chief to do? 

1. A model that rebuilds quickly
      2. Layout views that update quickly

What Computer do I need to make this happen?

I'm tempted to get a Mac Pro tower from a few years ago which has twin 3GB video cards, bumping me from 2GB to 6GB. This also would have 6 cores, each running at 3.5 GHz - vs. my current 4 core / 2.5 GHz setup. I can get one of these for $1800 - so as soon as it saves me 18 hours it's all gravy after that.

In regards to the Model Rebuilding time, it seems like the video card upgrade won't do much to help my cause. From what I can gather, the model rebuilds itself using only one core, no GPU, and so is entirely dependent on the clock speed of your processor - so going from 2.5 to 3.5 would be almost a doubling, which is nice - but not the kind of gains I was hoping for (but I may just have to settle for).

// I read something recently by a Chief Programmer which said the model had to be rebuilt in a certain order, and thats why they couldn't split it across the different cores. I wonder why they can't at least split each floor level on a core, and the terrain on another core - but I'm not a coder so I can't answer why not. There's probably a good reason.

My question is - and I haven't been able to find any info about it - is what effect does the video card have on Layout Views updating? 

I did some basic testing using the Activity Monitor utility, watching CPU and GPU history as wall as CPU load graphs, and got the following results:

Creating Plot Lines (Layout) seems to rely on the CPU, but seems to split the load across all the Processor Cores. So for this, I assume more cores is better, as well as processor speed. GPU seems to be idle during this process. 

Working in Elevation View (actually an orthographic camera of the 3D model). Zooming in and out, the load split across processor cores.

Manipulating the model and waiting for the model to update, we also get multi-core activity, and little action on the GPU. The only time we get GPU action is when we look at things in the 3D exterior camera - standard rendering style.

So I guess that leaves me with some answers. It basically seems like:

1. The GPU isn't a big deal, and even my 2GB card is pretty good
      2. More Cores + more speed are my friend. Although the graphs don't have a number, watching the percentage on the processor shows that it was hitting 100% during the layout zoom operations - so I'm out of processor.

So this changes what I buy somewhat. Guess I'm looking for Cores + Speed instead of upgrading to a massive video card. Does anyone else have insight to this?

• By marland393
      Sometimes I get random slivers of materials jutting out from my building that I can usually fix by moving a wall or adjusting the roof.  In the picture, I have two pieces of OSB that, when selected, are part of the room that is under the near dormer.  I can delete the surface in 3D view, but it regenerates automatically in the elevation view before I can update the layout page.  How can I get rid of these scraps of OSB?  Can I stop the automatic regeneration?
      Thanks!
      Kim 
      Version X6

• By michaelgia
      Not sure what I did wrong.
      Suddenly my furniture lost its color and is white in all views except the Vector view.
      If I'm in Standard or any other view except Vector and I select "final view" then the original colors appear.
      However I don't want the "final view" look.
      If I open the dbx of any given furniture piece and go to the Materials tab the color and material is indeed there and the little image shows color.
      I tried displaying "all" in the display options just in case I had inadvertently thrown things onto other layers that were turned off.
      Please help...
      Thanks,
      Michael
      Version X6 Premier
      Imac
    • By No1ZZTopfan
      I click on Select Object and the cursor disappears in the full camera window. I can still select items but I can't see where I'm selecting. It reappears on any command button or pull down menu.

Thanks.