ladycoralie

Not sure how to proceed with rest of roof

Recommended Posts

Hi. I'm having trouble with my roof (as per usual) ;) but I'm having trouble with how to achieve the look I'm going for. I'm attaching the plan and a pic of where I would like gable roofs to go, but not sure how to achieve this and what I should do with the rest of the roof. If someone could guide me please that would be great.

 

Thanks

Coralie

The Dunk.plan

Plan Pic copy.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coralie,

 

You floor plan with the arrows is ambiguous as to where you want the gables.

Can you post again with a clearer explanation of where you want the gables and if you have any preferences for the rest of the roof.

You should be able to do a roof like that automatically.

New Image_30.jpg

 

I think it would look better with a hip roof with the feature gables at the front - easier maintenance as well.

 

5a9784414aeea_NewImage_31.thumb.jpg.d0ea54a804b629bdd0b566f140dc4fcd.jpg

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, glennw said:

Coralie,

 

You floor plan with the arrows is ambiguous as to where you want the gables.

Can you post again with a clearer explanation of where you want the gables and if you have any preferences for the rest of the roof.

You should be able to do a roof like that automatically.

New Image_30.jpg

 

Hi Glenn,

 

thanks for helping out. I've posted the pic with half triangles on the ends for the major gable roofs I want. And some pics that show the effect from inside if that helps. I would like the long gable at the end to be kitchen and living areas. One long gable roof with trusses. The same goes for the master bedroom on the front left. I'm not sure where to end the gable on the right front - if it should continue to go into the other gable or not. I would like a gable over the front porch entry. I'm not sure what to do with the rest of the place. I was trying to do a farmhouse/ craftsman/country type of roof. I tried doing hips in between but it wasn't working and just looks weird. I'll add some pics of what I'm trying to get it to look like.

 

thanks again.

Plan Pic copy.jpg

custom-barndominium-living-room-design.jpg

3d.jpg

Noname.jpg

uploads_2F1482184717429-lzz42r3bx48m9ive-415b06f003aeb40eedbd40cf57850d0f_2F69582am_1_1482185269.jpg

a6d281e4c47f4cf9c18d28376b50794b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, glennw said:

Coralie,

 

You floor plan with the arrows is ambiguous as to where you want the gables.

Can you post again with a clearer explanation of where you want the gables and if you have any preferences for the rest of the roof.

You should be able to do a roof like that automatically.

New Image_30.jpg

 

I think it would look better with a hip roof with the feature gables at the front - easier maintenance as well.

 

5a9784414aeea_NewImage_31.thumb.jpg.d0ea54a804b629bdd0b566f140dc4fcd.jpg

 

 

Just saw the bottom post Glenn. I don't mind the hip roof and gable look at the front, but is there anyway to turn the back section into a gable?

 

Cheers

Coralie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coralie,

 

You can't force a roof geometry to be what you want.

The roof has to reflect the floor plan to a major degree.

I often find that if you can't get the look you want with Chief's auto roofs, then the roof doesn't work and can't be built as you want.

This solution will allow you to have the internal configuration you want with cathedral ceiling to the kitchen/living area and front left bedroom.

The end gable at the left side of the living area is inside the hip roof area and thus is not reflected in the external roof shape.

New Image_32.jpg

New Image_33.jpg

New Image_34.jpg

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Glenn. That does look pretty good. I've never been really good at geometry so it looks like I've been beating a dead horse trying to get it do something it can't. No worries. I'll have a go at trying to duplicate the above and see how I go.

 

Cheers and thanks :)

Coralie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 2wheeltodd said:

Is something like this what you're looking to do?

ROOF GABLE.JPG

Thanks for the pic. Not quite though. I wanted the gable to run the other way. thanks though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, glennw said:

 

You can't force a roof geometry to be what you want.

The roof has to reflect the floor plan to a major degree.

 

 

^^^^ QFT

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is without any porches covered with roofs.  The back gable is scissored within the main truss.  I used 8/12 pitches.  (see first 3 attachments.)

 

The fourth attachment removes the hip and uses a common truss with a scissor on the back end to achieve the gable in the back area.  It destroys the front right gable, but I think this could be worked around with some half trusses.

 

The last attachment is my drawing over your sketch extending the lines that control the roof points (disregarding your interior for the moment.)  I changed all my gable roofs to 4" yellow so that you can see them easier.

 

Once you like the roof, lock it, and redraw the interior to match what you want - noting any bearing points that need to follow through to the foundation.

 

I hope this helps.

ISO-FrontRight.thumb.jpg.ecdfa80f65100f3006a26e0539d27bd8.jpgISO-RearRight.thumb.jpg.357037bbff32c572f70cd53abbdeff61.jpgISO-Roof.thumb.jpg.23c263ac6b1dd369a4f4bb8f2e7085a8.jpgISO-FrontRight-Gable.thumb.jpg.6d72b0247325c5e1985a082fe4171b99.jpgLVL1.thumb.jpg.485f8e36437e0396cd2a67867dae9d10.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coralie,

 

I didn't catch you'd included the plan in your first post.  I downloaded it and fixed it  See attached.  Couple of notes.

 

  1. You need to leave the back left master bath wall as a hip, not a gable.  It explodes the roof.
  2. Changed the front right wall of this left master to a hip, not a gable
  3. put room dividers on the right bedroom rooms that split the vault-flat lines (like the hall, half the W/C and the left side of what looks like pantry?
  4. Set all the rooms you want vaulted to "no ceiling" just roof on the structure tab.
  5. I added roof planes at 25 degrees in the back room - extending out so that you can see the scissor.  you can move these back in or set them to 37 degrees if you are conventional framing.
  6. Same for the roof planes in the front right bedroom.  I set these to 25 degrees and extended them out so you can see the scissor.
  7. On the left master, I left the planes at 37 degrees.
  8. Look at the 3d view and turn on Glass House and spin it around I think you will see how the ceiling planes all come together.
  9. For the last part,  I turned off automatic roofs and extended out some roof planes to force the gable on the back side.  I had to clean up some of the remaining roof planes.  Not sure how to walk you through all of it.  It's just something I know how to do from lots of practice.

Take a look and let me know your thoughts.

 

It was fun working in metric :) 

 

 

 

The Dunk-Fixed.plan

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/03/2018 at 0:16 PM, johnny said:

 

^^^^ QFT

 

Sorry, I don't know what QFT means. thanks anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/03/2018 at 9:26 PM, JiAngelo said:

This is without any porches covered with roofs.  The back gable is scissored within the main truss.  I used 8/12 pitches.  (see first 3 attachments.)

 

The fourth attachment removes the hip and uses a common truss with a scissor on the back end to achieve the gable in the back area.  It destroys the front right gable, but I think this could be worked around with some half trusses.

 

The last attachment is my drawing over your sketch extending the lines that control the roof points (disregarding your interior for the moment.)  I changed all my gable roofs to 4" yellow so that you can see them easier.

 

Once you like the roof, lock it, and redraw the interior to match what you want - noting any bearing points that need to follow through to the foundation.

 

I hope this helps.

ISO-FrontRight.thumb.jpg.ecdfa80f65100f3006a26e0539d27bd8.jpgISO-RearRight.thumb.jpg.357037bbff32c572f70cd53abbdeff61.jpgISO-Roof.thumb.jpg.23c263ac6b1dd369a4f4bb8f2e7085a8.jpgISO-FrontRight-Gable.thumb.jpg.6d72b0247325c5e1985a082fe4171b99.jpgLVL1.thumb.jpg.485f8e36437e0396cd2a67867dae9d10.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

 

On 03/03/2018 at 1:13 AM, JiAngelo said:

Coralie,

 

I didn't catch you'd included the plan in your first post.  I downloaded it and fixed it  See attached.  Couple of notes.

 

  1. You need to leave the back left master bath wall as a hip, not a gable.  It explodes the roof.
  2. Changed the front right wall of this left master to a hip, not a gable
  3. put room dividers on the right bedroom rooms that split the vault-flat lines (like the hall, half the W/C and the left side of what looks like pantry?
  4. Set all the rooms you want vaulted to "no ceiling" just roof on the structure tab.
  5. I added roof planes at 25 degrees in the back room - extending out so that you can see the scissor.  you can move these back in or set them to 37 degrees if you are conventional framing.
  6. Same for the roof planes in the front right bedroom.  I set these to 25 degrees and extended them out so you can see the scissor.
  7. On the left master, I left the planes at 37 degrees.
  8. Look at the 3d view and turn on Glass House and spin it around I think you will see how the ceiling planes all come together.
  9. For the last part,  I turned off automatic roofs and extended out some roof planes to force the gable on the back side.  I had to clean up some of the remaining roof planes.  Not sure how to walk you through all of it.  It's just something I know how to do from lots of practice.

Take a look and let me know your thoughts.

 

It was fun working in metric :) 

 

 

 

The Dunk-Fixed.plan

 

Hi JiAngelo,

 

Thanks so much for having a go at my plan. That looks pretty good. I'm going to go through each of the steps you did and see if I can replicate it. But I really like te way it turned out. I really appreciate you going through it step by step. That helps a lot. this may sound silly, but you mentioned locking the roof when I like it. How do you do that?

 

Cheers and thanks

Coralie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is web speak for "quoted for truth".

Basically meaning "I agree".

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, glennw said:

It is web speak for "quoted for truth".

Basically meaning "I agree".

 

Aha! Thanks Glenn. Yep, me too. what you said makes a lot of sense. I just have to brush up on my geometry.

 

cheers

Coralie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, "Locking the roof" is a term I use with clients. It actually means we're  done moving exterior walls and I can turn automatic roofs "off"  to hand draw / modify  any roof planes/dormers/overhangs  that aren't drawn as we want.

 

The back master plane is the trickiest.  Practice pushing and pulling them like you would a slab or soffit. Just along a different axis following/matching the peaks, valleys and overhangs of the adjacent planes.   

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mixing a bunch of hipped roofs with gables seldom looks good. While it's possible, probably not when designed by Chief Architect alone. (One exception might be a "Dutch Gable," which is sort of a hybrid, shown in your example.) I would pick one style of roof  and go with it. Also important is the relative size of subsidiary roofs. Tiny gables or hips can look like "warts" on a larger roof if not appropriately sized. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Member Statistics

    28148
    Total Members
    6254
    Most Online
    Yusefun
    Newest Member
    Yusefun
    Joined