Muhammad_Habib

Fence over Half Wall / Parapet

Hi there.

I tried much, couldn't find any method in Chief to make Fences over Railings, which is required in many real world cases. 
I am not talking about Terrain Wall fences; rather, upper floors.

Any idea?

Regards.

question about fences.jpg

For a railing on top of a half-wall:

1. Draw the half-wall.

2. Draw the railing and make it No Room Definition and No Locate.

3. Align the railing with the half-wall, then adjust the railing heights as necessary so they are higher than the half wall.

railing.thumb.PNG.806df37c827c22ef3c303e4cf7aedd26.PNG

• Upvote 1

For a face-mount railing, it's more complicated. I prefer to use distributed objects for the newels and the balusters, and a molding polyline for the top and bottom rails. It's more work, but I haven't found a better method.

railing2.thumb.PNG.3aaac473a3d8bbe283b929fb0afc21c8.PNG

• Upvote 1

Thanks Robert. 

I had done this 'trick', but here problem arises of continuous error of not connecting walls with the cursor. So, not a satisfactory way.

Chief developers should make like Pony Wall solution, where upper wall can be made a railing.

Habib

57 minutes ago, Muhammad_Habib said:

Chief developers should make like Pony Wall solution, where upper wall can be made a railing.

I think I saw something in the X10 Trailer Video that might suggest they are already working on this concept.

2 hours ago, Muhammad_Habib said:

Thanks Robert. 

I had done this 'trick', but here problem arises of continuous error of not connecting walls with the cursor. So, not a satisfactory way.

Habib

this has been asked for many times in the last few years , so hopefully in the next version it will be there......in the mean time , you can also make a symbol and use it over a Half Wall ...works okay for a few Areas but is a bit more time consuming if you have a lot to do ....

18.JPG

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Oilersfan20
    Newest Member
    Oilersfan20

• By ChiefArchitect
      Option 6 is large enough to provide extra family space in the form of a loft on the 2nd floor. For this house style, we put a balcony over the porch and front door, making this sunny room even more welcoming.
    • By OnlineBuilder
      Does anyone know how to draw these parapet eaves? They are not common here and I've only seen them used in one estate. If anyone has a cross-section drafted drawing of them, I'd love to have a look. Do they use a box gutter (big No-No in this area)? 

If I use a soffit block, for some reason they don't touch and half the soffit block disappears. I've noticed this with using them as posts. If anyone can explain this, let me know. 

• By pgjacob
      Hi Everyone
      I am trying to create a townhome structure with 3 levels with balconies.  The ceiling over one of these balconies looks weird, and is dropped from the roof.  See the attached pic.  How should I correct it?

Thanks in advance,
      melissa
      CA x10 Beta

• By CBRF23
      I'm getting beat-up by Chief pretty good this weekend.  I've been fighting with these parapet gables since Friday, figured I would get it sorted over the weekend but I'm having lots of trouble and figure it's time to ask for help

I got the rough form down, but trying to iron it all out is killing me.  Whenever I make an adjustment or move a wall, other unrelated walls move and change shape. 

I'm also not sure how to get the lower floor walls to do what I want, which is to have a 2" brick return (photoshopped image attached). 

I've attached the plan, and would greatly appreciate any advice here.  I'm willing to change tactics if anyone has a better way of making these.  

The process I followed to create the parapets was 1) move roof up in Z 2) change attic walls to regular walls and modify an edge to get it to retain changes 3) move roof back down 4) drag roof planes back and snap to the inside edges of walls. 

Parapets.zip
    • By Ace_Drafting
      Just a quick heads up. I recently opened a town planning drawing I started in x8 in X9 to continue with construction drawings and noticed that the picket style fence had been reversed. Seems this is happening to all my plans. Fence rails get moved to outside of pickets, but posts remain on the right side. Gates do not seem to be affected, just the fence panels.
      Not a big issue to fix, just thought I would let you know.
      Have sent it though to Tech support as well.

Cheers,
      Anders