erinmulhern

Mirror Reflections

I can not get my mirrors to show reflections. The material properties are set to "mirror" and the camera is set to show reflections. I am in a 3d perspective view with standard rendering technique. Are there other settings that I need to change?

You might try to turn reflections on in the camera DBX, what version are you using?, it makes a difference.

You may need to close the camera view and create a new one.

ct1.thumb.jpg.4965aa9ad6c4d6729969b5b614167e86.jpg

Thank you, I've tried all of your suggestions and can't make it happen. I tried it in another plan and no go there either. I must have some other issue.

Just now, erinmulhern said:

Thank you, I've tried all of your suggestions and can't make it happen. I tried it in another plan and no go there either. I must have some other issue.

It could be your GPU.  What Video Card are you using?

Post a simple plan demonstrating the problem.

you could also try a new mirror material, some older ones don't work

Your material is fine. Make sure reflections is checked in the full camera specs

zzz.jpg

Thank you. It is selected in both of the plans I've tried it on. Must have something to do with my video card or computer.

My guess is that you went into your preferences and turned off "Use Enhanced Lighting".  If this is the case, then turn it back on. Reflections won't work unless use enhanced lighting is turned on.

There is no reason to turn off use enhanced lighting unless you are working with tech support and trying to troubleshoot video card problems.

• Upvote 1

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    nrafiq
    Newest Member
    nrafiq

• By GCCISarah
      Hi all,
      All mirrors from the catalog(s) that I am placing show a bright yellow cast and pixels on the reflective surface of the mirror itself. The mirror IS reflecting the room around it, but the bright yellow color and pixelation never resolves itself. The first photo is the 'Standard' camera view rendering technique, where the yellow is at its brightest. The second attachment is 'Physically Based' rendering technique, where the yellow is faded a bit.
      I had no problems in X10, but this issue has been in all of my plans so far using X11.  

Any thoughts? The mirror material is set as a 'Mirror', with 100% reflection. I've not changed any defaults, preferences, or qualities about the mirror material or camera views that I could think would affect the reflective quality. Help appreciated.

• By ChiefuserTEDv
      It always bothers me that the mirrors don't reflect in CA so what I do is capture an image and photoshop a reflection in. Just wondering how others create mirrors?

• By Cheryl_C_Crane
      On bended knee, I beg to find out why I can NO LONGER get reflections on mirrors. My library of Materials is up to date. Please note the little toolbar of buttons from the Cross Section Slider tools. Light are set to 100 and only 3 are on, there is a window in the WC. The White Frames have a material with Emissivity of 5 (Lamp Shade). I love PBR , sort of. 

I'd appreciate your thoughts, ~Cheryl

• By pgjacob
      Hi All

I have three questions...y'all have been so helpful, so I give you a 3 for one deal today!

1) I am trying to create seams in hardie siding.  I have attached the reference photo (grey area).  The Hardie material is already in the catalog, and it "paints" well with no seams, which is usually how I prefer, but in this case I need to create the seams and see each individual panel.  I tried to alter the material definition, and I created a new material with a border but both didn't work well. 

2) Also, this same photo shows cedar panels that are thicker than the Hardie.  The cedar is on it's own floor, so these areas are already separated by floor.  I tried having a thicker wall type but the walls were skewed (one jutted out).  I see in material definition that there is a thickness area available,but it doesn't seems to change visually.

3) Finally, the windows in the photo are really reflective.  I like this effect.  I am not seeing this in my ray trace so (after a suggestion from tech support) I put a polyline in front of the building and painted a backdrop to give the windows something to reflect but it didn't work so well.  Then I had to learn about refractive index from Wikipedia, and I  had to take a nap.  Can I get the windows to reflect more?  Water is more reflective than diamond? Or vice versa...

Any suggestions?
      Thanks in advance
      melissa