Modeling the structure for a bank barn

GeneDavis

A building is built into a banked site.  8-inch stemwall foundation around a slab which is at grade on the drive-out side.  

The rear wall has foundation coming up to 48 inches above the slab floor, the two endwalls have the foundation stepping down to 24 above then to zero, the front elevation has its wall on grade equals slab.

I can model with accuracy for build and materials using pony walls for the rear and end walls, with the lower portion of the pony wall matching the 8-inch stemwalls.

My issues, and they are minor, are that the 3D framing view does not show the concrete pony wall sections, and the wall framing elevations for stepped walls only show a section at a time.  The attached pic shows a 24 x 32 building, and the 24-foot end walls have steps, thus are three wall segments.

Untitled 2.jpg

14 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Hi Gene , why not just step the foundation wall  rather than use Pony Walls ?  maybe more manual work I suppose but it didn't take me too long to try your Model.

here is my Play Plan, so you can check settings....

Capture96.JPG

Garage in Bank Plan.plan

Stepping the wall default bottom heights have created a ton of problems for me in past when I was trying to tackle this same problem. D. Scott Hall has come up with a few good ideas but they sometimes have their drawbacks as well for what my typical intended use is; I don't find any of the available solutions that great. For the last project I did, I used pony walls as you did, with my lower wall definition having a layer of drywall at the interior side and check "align wall at inner surface." I then put p-line solids on their own layer, removed from schedule, and created the curbs so that 3d framing views would show correct. It's still a work-around, but with none of the problems in the floor DBX, snaps, elevations etc. came up with this method....I feel like its a lot less work than breaking your wall surfaces and messing with default wall top and bottom heights. 

Unless I am missing something Kbird's method is correct in regards to how I construct this situation and how it is built in the field.

I am always manually adjusting the top and bottom of foundation walls for sloping lot conditions.

It can be tedious but that's what is required and sometimes.